Buies Creek, N.C. – Malik Moore scored in double-figures for the sixth straight game on Saturday afternoon as the USC Upstate men's basketball team fell 82-66 in Big South action to the Campbell Camels from Gore Arena.
USC Upstate falls to 6-20 on the season and 1-10 in conference play while Campbell improves to 14-10 overall and 7-3 in the league.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Moore led the Spartans with 16 points, eight rebounds, two assists and two steals while shooting 5-of-10 from the field and 6-for-6 at the free throw line.
- Dalvin White and Everette Hammond each scored nine points while White also dished out two assists.
- Brandon Martin came off the bench to register eight points, four rebounds and two assists.
- Chris Clemons led all players for the Camels with a game-high 32 points to go with five rebounds on 8-of-17 shooting and 12-for-14 at the free throw line.
- Ja'Cor Nelson contributed 18 points and five assists on 6-of-7 shooting.
- USC Upstate finished the game shooting 42.9 percent (21-of-49) from the field.
- Both teams pulled down 27 rebounds apiece.
- The Spartans held a 9-0 advantage in second chance points and 25-14 in bench points.
- The game featured four lead changes and one tie.
FIRST HALF BREAKDOWN
- USC Upstate opened the game on a 6-2 run and took a four-point lead at the 18:06 mark when Hammond knocked down a 3-pointer.
- Campbell answered with a 10-2 run over the next three minutes and went ahead 12-8 with 15:30 to go.
- After the Camels increased their lead to seven points, Moore scored four consecutive points and cut the Spartans deficit down to 19-16 with 10:38 remaining.
- Martin kept USC Upstate within three, 21-18, two possessions later with his rebound and layup at the 10:06 mark.
- Clemons recorded eight points during a 10-0 run for Campbell as it pushed its lead out to 31-18 with 8:05 left.
- The Spartans got as close as eight points, 33-25, with 5:28 remaining on a layup by Deion Holmes.
- The Camels outscored USC Upstate 13-4 over the final 5:02 to close out the first half.
- A layup by Nelson with 1:01 to go sent Campbell into halftime leading 46-29.
SECOND HALF BREAKDOWN
- The Camels led by as many as 20 points three times during the first three minutes of the second half with the last coming at 53-33 with 17:40 remaining.
- Campbell held its largest lead of the game, 23 points, three times beginning at 60-37 with 15:30 left.
- The Spartans would then go on a 12-2 run that lasted 3:11 and cut their deficit down to 62-49 when Ross Ryan connected on a layup.
- Ryan made it a 66-52 game at the 8:44 mark after converting on a 3-point play.
- Over the next four minutes the Camels used a 12-3 run to hold a 78-55 lead over USC Upstate with 4:52 to go.
- The Spartans finished the game's final 3:37 outscoring Campbell 11-3.
- Martin put the score at 80-65 with 2:09 remaining after making 1-of-2 free throws.
- White made the final score 82-66 with 1:00 to go on a free throw.
- USC Upstate is back at the Eddie and Ann Payne Arena in the G.B. Hodge Center on Wednesday, February 13 hosting UNC Asheville at 7 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate men's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).