Spartanburg, S.C. – Malik Moore scored a game-high 27 points on Saturday afternoon as the USC Upstate men's basketball team dropped a 90-71 decision at home to the Charleston Southern Buccaneers from Eddie and Ann Payne Arena in the G.B. Hodge Center.
USC Upstate falls to 6-19 on the season and 1-9 in Big South play while Charleston Southern improves to 10-11 overall and 4-4 in the conference.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Moore registered his 17th career game scoring at least 20 points leading all players with 27 and nine rebounds. The senior also recorded three steals, one block and one assist.
- Moore was one of four players to score in double-figures along with Brandon Martin, Everette Hammond and Deion Holmes.
- Martin came off the bench to score 13 points on 5-of-8 shooting while Hammond added 11 and Holmes 10.
- Jure Span dished out six assists.
- The Buccaneers had five players finish with double-digit points led by Dontrell Shuler and Christian Keeling with 18 apiece.
- Travis McConico added a double-double of 14 points and 11 rebounds.
- Ty Jones contributed 16 points and Phlandrous Fleming 12.
- The Spartans finished the game shooting 44.4 percent (28-of-63) from the field and went 10-for-12 (83.3 percent) at the free throw line.
- USC Upstate held a 44-38 advantage in points in the paint and 12-10 in fast break points.
- The game featured four ties and four lead changes.
FIRST HALF BREAKDOWN
- Charleston Southern began the game scoring six of the first seven points and led 6-1 with 17:41 left following a layup.
- The Spartans responded with an 8-3 run and tied the score at 9-9 with 14:47 remaining when Moore completed a 3-point play.
- Neither team scored for over two minutes until Moore's layup at the 12:28 mark gave USC Upstate its first lead of the game at 11-9.
- The Spartans led by as many as three points twice in the first half beginning at 18-15 with 10:14 to go on a layup by Hammond.
- Hammond kept USC Upstate ahead by three points, 20-17, with 9:24 left after another layup.
- The Buccaneers answered with a 12-0 run that lasted nearly three minutes and took a 29-20 lead with 6:58 remaining.
- The Spartans got as close as six points, 33-27, with 3:23 to go on a 3-pointer by Dalvin White.
- Charleston Southern closed out the half on an 11-2 run over the final 3:04 and led 44-29 at halftime.
SECOND HALF BREAKDOWN
- The Buccaneers increased their lead out to 46-32 less than two minutes into the second half.
- Moore scored eight points during a stretch of 2:35 and led USC Upstate on an 11-3 run cutting its deficit down to 49-44 at the 16:06 mark with a layup and free throw.
- Charleston Southern broke the game open courtesy of a 24-4 run that lasted 7:11 and held its largest lead of the game at 73-48 with 8:18 remaining.
- The Buccaneers led by at least 20 points over the next six minutes before Moore's layup at the 4:15 mark put the score at 81-62.
- Moore got the Spartans as close as 17 points, 81-64, the following possession with 4:06 left.
- Charleston Southern responded with a 9-2 run and went ahead 90-66 at the 1:32 mark.
- Hammond scored the game's final five points with his last field goal, a 3-pointer, with 30 seconds left making the final score 90-71.
- USC Upstate is off until next Saturday, February 9 when it travels to Campbell for a 4:30 p.m. tipoff against the Camels.
Follow USC Upstate men's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).