Asheville, N.C. – Malik Moore recorded his 11th career double-double on Wednesday evening but the USC Upstate men's basketball team dropped a 71-62 decision in conference play to the UNC Asheville Bulldogs from Kimmel Arena.
USC Upstate falls to 6-18 on the season and 1-8 in Big South play while UNC Asheville improves to 3-19 overall and 1-7 in the league.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Moore finished with a game-high 25 points, the 16th of his career with 20 or more, and 11 rebounds on 8-of-15 shooting.
- The Spartans had three players, along with Moore, score in double-figures as Deion Holmes added 16 points and Brandon Martin 10.
- Moore also dished out a team-high four assists to go with two steals.
- DeVon Baker led four Bulldogs in double-digits scoring with 20 while Donovan Gilmore and Coty Jude had 17.
- Tajion Jones contributed 11 points.
- Gilmore added a double-double for UNC Asheville with 11 rebounds.
- USC Upstate concluded the game shooting 40.4 percent (21-of-52) from the field.
- The Spartans held a 19-4 advantage in points off turnovers, 16-3 in fast break points and 17-2 in bench points.
- The game featured four ties and four lead changes.
FIRST HALF BREAKDOWN
- The Bulldogs started the game on a 9-3 run and took a six-point lead at the 17:11 mark.
- After USC Upstate cut its deficit down to four, UNC Asheville answered with six consecutive points and led 17-7 with 13:18 remaining.
- The Bulldogs maintained its 10-point advantage at 19-9 with 11:53 remaining.
- The Spartans trimmed the lead down to five, 21-16, with 10:07 to go after a 3-pointer from Everette Hammond.
- USC Upstate then came back with an 11-0 run that covered nearly three minutes and took its first lead of the game at 27-25 with 4:36 remaining after a pair of free throws from Holmes.
- The Spartans led by as many as five points to close out the half when Martin's jumper at the 1:43 mark put them ahead 33-28.
- A 3-point play by UNC Asheville sent USC Upstate into halftime leading 33-31.
SECOND HALF BREAKDOWN
- The Bulldogs began the second half on a 10-2 run and went ahead 41-35 at the 16:10 mark.
- Martin followed the next possession with a jumper and made the score 41-37 with 15:37 to go.
- After Hammond scored on a layup, UNC Asheville registered seven straight points and took a 51-39 lead at the 10:23 mark on a 3-pointer.
- The Bulldogs held their largest lead of the game, 56-42, at the 9:36 mark with a 3-pointer.
- USC Upstate got as close as six points, 59-53, with 3:39 remaining on a layup by Moore.
- UNC Asheville scored its final 12 points at the free throw line.
- Moore got the Spartans to within eight points with 1:03 left when his layup put the score at 67-59.
- Moore's 3-pointer with 18 seconds remaining made the final score 71-62.
- USC Upstate celebrates Homecoming on Saturday afternoon hosting Charleston Southern at 4:30 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate men's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).