Spartanburg, S.C. – Deion Holmes scored a game-high 20 points to lead three Spartans in double-figures on Saturday evening as the USC Upstate men's basketball team picked up its first-ever Big South Conference victory after defeating the Longwood Lancers 80-63 from Eddie and Ann Payne Arena in the G.B. Hodge Center.
USC Upstate improves to 6-17 on the season and 1-7 in Big South play while Longwood falls to 13-10 overall and 3-5 in the conference.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Holmes led all players offensively finishing with a game-high 20 points on 6-of-15 shooting and went 5-for-5 at the free throw line.
- Malik Moore contributed 16 points and grabbed a team-leading six rebounds after shooting 5-of-13 from the field to go with 4-of-8 behind the 3-point line and three assists.
- Everette Hammond came off the bench to score 14 points on 6-of-10 shooting.
- Dalvin White dished out a game-high five assists.
- Josh Aldrich set new career-highs with four blocks and three steals.
- Isaiah Walton and Gus Okafor led the Lancers with 12 points and six rebounds each.
- Shabooty Phillips and JaShaun Smith both had 10 points.
- The Spartans finished the game shooting 45.9 percent (28-of-61) from the field and went 12-for 14 (85.7 percent) at the free throw line.
- USC Upstate also made 12 3-pointers.
- The Spartans held a 20-10 advantage in points off turnovers and 33-29 in bench points.
- The game featured one tie, which came within the game's first minute of play, and no lead changes.
FIRST HALF BREAKDOWN
- USC Upstate held Longwood without a 3-point field goal in the first half as the Lancers went 0-for-12 behind the arc.
- The Spartans held Longwood to just four points over the first 9:02.
- USC Upstate started the game on a 15-4 run and took an 11-point lead at the 10:58 mark following a 3-point play from Brandon Martin.
- After the Lancers connected on a jumper, the Spartans responded with an 11-2 run and led 26-8 with 6:52 remaining on a 3-pointer by Moore.
- Pat Welch gave USC Upstate a 29-9 lead with 4:27 left after his 3-pointer.
- White extended the Spartans lead to their largest of the half, 23 points, with a 3-pointer at the 1:38 mark and put them ahead 36-13.
- Longwood closed out the first half scoring six straight points over the final 1:23 as USC Upstate led 36-19 at halftime.
SECOND HALF BREAKDOWN
- The Lancers started the second half by cutting the Spartans lead down to 14 points at 36-22 with 19:48 to go.
- USC Upstate responded by going on a 14-1 run that covered 4:35 and held its largest lead of the game at 50-23 with 15:13 remaining on a 3-pointer from Holmes.
- The Spartans led by at least 20 points for a majority of the next eight minutes including going ahead 52-28 with 13:31 remaining on Aldrich's jumper.
- Longwood outscored USC Upstate 21-12 during the next 7:19 and trailed 64-49 at the 6:12 mark.
- The Spartans answered with seven of the next nine points and led 71-51 with 4:24 left on Hammond's 3-pointer.
- A layup by Nevin Zink with 3:27 to go kept USC Upstate in front by 20 points at 73-53.
- The Lancers got as close as 15 points the rest of the way coming at the 2:50 mark with the score 73-58.
- Jordan Furlough's first career basket as a Spartan put them ahead 80-61 with 48 seconds left.
- Longwood made two free throws with 25 seconds left to put the final score at 80-63.
- USC Upstate travels to Asheville, N.C. on Wednesday, January 30 for a 7 p.m. tipoff at UNC Asheville.
Follow USC Upstate men's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).