Hampton, Va. – Deion Holmes and Malik Moore scored 12 and 10 points, respectively, to lead the USC Upstate men's basketball team on Thursday evening as the Spartans fell 88-70 to the Hampton Pirates in Big South play from the Convocation Center.
USC Upstate falls to 5-17 on the season and 0-7 in conference play while Hampton improves to 8-10 overall and 3-2 in the Big South.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Holmes led the Spartans offensively scoring 12 points and grabbed five rebounds.
- Moore contributed 10 points while adding team-highs with seven rebounds and six assists.
- Everette Hammond posted nine points, Pat Welch and Nevin Zink eight each, and Brandon Martin seven.
- Dalvin White dished out a team-leading four assists while Hammond added three.
- Jermaine Marrow scored a game-high 26 points to lead the Pirates and Kalin Fisher compiled 24.
- Marrow and Fisher both pulled down six rebounds while Fisher had eight assists.
- USC Upstate finished the game shooting 45.2 percent (28-of-62) from the field.
- The Spartans held a 19-12 advantage in second chance points, 15-14 in fast break points and 27-21 in bench points.
- The game featured six ties and one lead change.
FIRST HALF BREAKDOWN
- The opening five minutes of the game featured three ties as Hampton evened the score at 6-6 with 15:14 to go.
- Zink gave USC Upstate a 6-3 lead during the first five minutes with his layup at the 15:32 mark.
- After the Pirates extended their lead to 10-6, two free throws from Welch and a layup by Holmes tied the score for the Spartans at 10-10 with 12:24 remaining.
- USC Upstate tied the score twice over a 47-second stretch with the last coming at 13-13 with 10:01 left on a free throw by Zink.
- Hampton would then go on a 14-4 run that lasted nearly five minutes and went ahead 27-17.
- The Spartans got as close as nine points three times over the final 4:49 of the half with the last coming at 32-23 with 3:07 remaining after a layup from Holmes.
- The Pirates closed out the half on a 15-7 run and held a 47-30 lead at halftime.
SECOND HALF BREAKDOWN
- A pair of free throws by Zink at the 18:41 mark gave USC Upstate the first points of the second half and put the score at 47-32.
- Welch connected on a 3-pointer with 15:58 to go and cut the Spartans deficit down to 55-39.
- Hampton broke the game open courtesy of an 11-2 run over the following 3:39 and went ahead 66-41.
- The Pirates led by at least 20 points for a majority of the game's final 13 minutes.
- USC Upstate made it a 75-52 game at the 8:01 mark when Hammond drove in for a layup off the assist from White.
- Hampton took its largest lead of the game at 88-57 with 2:16 remaining.
- The Spartans closed out the game on a 13-0 run over the last 2:15.
- Jure Span's jumper as time expired put the final score at 88-70.
- USC Upstate returns home on Saturday afternoon to host Longwood at 4:30 p.m.
2019 Big South Basketball Flex Plans are now available. Choose the five Big South Conference games you want for one low cost. Log on to www.upstatespartans.com to purchase your flex plan today!
Follow USC Upstate men's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).