Spartanburg, S.C. – Malik Moore recorded his 10th career double-double on Monday afternoon as the USC Upstate men's basketball team fell 68-59 in Big South action to the Presbyterian Blue Hose from Eddie and Ann Payne Arena in the G.B. Hodge Center.
USC Upstate falls to 5-16 on the season and 0-6 in Big South play while Presbyterian improves to 12-9 overall and 4-2 in the conference.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Moore led all players after finishing the game with 20 points and a career-high 15 rebounds to go with four assists, two steals and one block.
- Nevin Zink contributed 16 points and six rebounds on 6-of-9 shooting.
- Deion Holmes and Dalvin White both scored eight points.
- JC Younger scored a team-high 19 points for the Blue Hose while Davon Bell added 16 and Adam Flagler 13.
- Cory Hightower grabbed seven rebounds.
- The Spartans concluded the game shooting 35.7 percent (20-of-56) from the field.
- USC Upstate held a 20-18 advantage in points in the paint and 11-9 in second chance points.
- The game featured two ties and two lead changes.
FIRST HALF BREAKDOWN
- Presbyterian opened the game on a 13-0 run over the first 5:08 capped by a 3-pointer from Flagler with 14:52 remaining.
- The Spartans came back with an 18-5 run that covered 3:46 and tied the score at 18-18 with 11:05 to go on a 3-pointer from Moore.
- Moore handed USC Upstate its first lead of the game at 22-20 with 10:12 left following his layup.
- Jure Span gave the Spartans their largest lead of the half, 28-23, at the 7:39 mark on a 3-pointer.
- The Blue Hose scored seven straight points and took the lead back at 30-28 with 5:01 remaining.
- The teams combined for seven points over the final five minutes of the first half.
- Younger put Presbyterian ahead 33-28 with 2:13 to go after his 3-pointer.
- Moore answered with a 3-pointer at the 1:41 mark and made the score 33-31.
- Chris Martin's free throw with 1:25 left sent the Blue Hose into halftime leading 34-31.
SECOND HALF BREAKDOWN
- Presbyterian started the second half on a 6-1 run and went in front 40-32 at the 16:25 mark.
- USC Upstate got as close as three points four times during a stretch of 6:15 with the last coming at 46-43 with 10:10 to go when Moore made two free throws.
- The Blue Hose answered with seven straight points and led 53-43 with 7:26 left.
- Presbyterian held its largest lead of the game, 11 points, four times over the final six minutes starting at 57-46.
- Francois Lewis made one free throw with 3:06 to go and extended the Blue Hose lead to 62-51.
- A layup by Holmes with 1:22 remaining trimmed the Spartans deficit down to 65-58.
- Moore's free throw with 33 seconds left in the game put the final score at 68-59.
- USC Upstate travels to Hampton, Va. on Thursday, Jan. 24 for a 7 p.m. tipoff at Hampton.
2019 Big South Basketball Flex Plans are now available. Choose the five Big South Conference games you want for one low cost. Log on to www.upstatespartans.com to purchase your flex plan today!
Follow USC Upstate men's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).