Spartanburg, S.C. – Deion Holmes scored over 30 points for the second time this season on Saturday evening to lead the USC Upstate men's basketball team as the Spartans fell 82-72 to the Winthrop Eagles in Big South action from Eddie and Ann Payne Arena in the G.B. Hodge Center.
USC Upstate falls to 5-15 on the season and 0-5 in conference play while Winthrop improves to 12-6 overall and 4-1 in the Big South.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Holmes led all players offensively with a game-high 32 points on 11-of-19 shooting, including 6-of-9 behind the 3-point line, and was 4-for-4 at the free throw line.
- Holmes also pulled down six rebounds.
- Malik Moore contributed nine points, eight rebounds and set a new career-high with four blocks.
- Dalvin White scored eight points and dished out five assists to go with three steals.
- Josh Aldrich posted six rebounds.
- Nych Smith scored a team-high 23 points for the Eagles.
- Adam Pickett had 16 points while Kyle Zunic compiled 14 and eight rebounds.
- Josh Ferguson tied Zunic for the team-lead with eight rebounds.
- The Spartans finished the game shooting 38.1 percent (24-of-63) from the field and made 11 3-pointers.
- USC Upstate held a 17-13 advantage in points off turnovers and 6-2 in fast break points.
- Both teams had seven second chance points.
- The game featured 14 lead changes and four ties.
FIRST HALF BREAKDOWN
- Winthrop opened the game scoring five of the first six points before the Spartans came back with six straight and took a 7-5 lead at the 14:48 mark on a layup by Holmes.
- The Eagles led by as many as five points four times in the first half including three during a two-minute stretch.
- A jumper by Smith with 9:35 to go gave Winthrop a 20-15 lead.
- USC Upstate received back-to-back 3-pointers from Holmes and Everette Hammond to give it a 21-20 lead with 8:11 remaining.
- The Eagles went back ahead by five, 32-27, with 4:32 left on a 3-pointer by Smith.
- A pair of free throws by Moore put the Spartans back in front 35-34 with 3:10 to go.
- Tied 35-35 with 2:59 remaining, USC Upstate concluded the half on a 12-4 run.
- Hammond's jumper with two seconds remaining sent the Spartans into halftime leading 47-39.
SECOND HALF BREAKDOWN
- USC Upstate took its largest lead of the game at 50-41 with 18:20 remaining following a 3-point play from Nevin Zink.
- After Winthrop cut the lead down to one, Pat Welch connected on a 3-pointer to give the Spartans a 53-49 advantage with 15:30 to go.
- USC Upstate led 61-56 at the 12:05 mark when Holmes knocked down another 3-pointer.
- The Eagles responded by going on a 9-0 run and went in front 65-61 with 7:54 remaining.
- The Spartans got as close as two points the rest of the way when Moore made two free throws to put the score at 65-63 with 7:33 to go.
- USC Upstate stayed within three points twice with the last coming at 68-65 with 6:07 to go on a jumper by Brandon Martin.
- Winthrop broke the game open courtesy of a 9-2 run over the next four minutes and went ahead 77-67 with 2:24 remaining.
- The Eagles took their largest lead of the game, 11 points, twice over the final 38 seconds.
- Holmes made one free throw with 33 seconds left to put the final score at 82-72.
- The Spartans remain at home Monday afternoon hosting Presbyterian at 4 p.m.
2019 Big South Basketball Flex Plans are now available. Choose the five Big South Conference games you want for one low cost. Log on to www.upstatespartans.com to purchase your flex plan today!
Follow USC Upstate men's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).