High Point, N.C. – Malik Moore scored a team-high 17 points, while Deion Holmes added 12, as the USC Upstate men's basketball team dropped a 71-54 decision in Big South action to the High Point Panthers on Wednesday evening from the Millis Center.
USC Upstate falls to 5-14 on the season and 0-4 in conference play while High Point improves to 10-8 overall and 3-1 in the Big South.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Moore finished the game shooting 6-of-15 from the field and led the Spartans with 17 points.
- Moore also recorded five rebounds, three blocks and one steal.
- Holmes added 12 points, three rebounds, three assists and one block.
- Jure Span pulled down a season-high seven rebounds to lead USC Upstate defensively.
- Everette Hammond contributed eight points.
- Brandonn Kamga led all players with 19 points for the Panthers and was one of three to score in double-figures.
- Jahaad Proctor posted 17 points and Jordan Whitehead 12.
- Ricky Madison grabbed a game-high 13 rebounds.
- The Spartans concluded the game shooting 34.4 percent (21-of-61) from the field and went 7-for-8 (87.5 percent) at the free throw line.
- USC Upstate held a 14-9 advantage in points off turnovers, 8-4 in fast break points and 18-13 in bench points.
- The game featured one tie and one lead change.
FIRST HALF BREAKDOWN
- High Point opened the game on a 10-2 run and later held a 14-4 lead at the 14:15 mark.
- Following a dunk by Brandon Martin with 12:53 to go, the Panthers would go on a 12-0 run that covered 5:03 and led 26-6.
- The Spartans got as close as 18 points, 26-8, the following possession on a layup by Holmes with 7:35 remaining.
- After High Point took a 23-point lead twice, USC Upstate got to within 19 points two times with the last coming at 33-14 with 4:57 left on Moore's jumper.
- The Panthers led by at least 20 points over the final 4:38 of the first half.
- High Point took its largest lead of the half at 26 points when Kamga's 3-pointer with five seconds remaining made the halftime score 46-20.
SECOND HALF BREAKDOWN
- The Spartans outscored the Panthers 34-25 in the second half.
- High Point led by as many as 28 points twice during the half's opening six minutes.
- Josh Aldrich knocked down a 3-pointer at the 15:02 mark and put the score at 52-29.
- The Panthers held their largest lead of the game at 59-29 with 10:51 to go.
- USC Upstate then posted a 12-0 run that lasted almost four minutes and trimmed their deficit down to 59-41 capped by Dalvin White's 3-pointer with 7:53 remaining.
- Hammond and Pat Welch both kept the Spartans within 17 points during a two minute stretch. A pair of free throws by Hammond at the 3:51 mark cut the lead down to 65-48.
- The teams traded baskets over the final 2:27 with High Point leading by 19 points, 69-50, with 1:50 left.
- A layup by Moore with 1:00 remaining made the score 69-54.
- Proctor's layup with 28 seconds to go put the final score at 71-54.
- USC Upstate begins a two-game homestand on Saturday afternoon hosting Winthrop at 4:30 p.m.
2019 Big South Basketball Flex Plans are now available. Choose the five Big South Conference games you want for one low cost. Log on to www.upstatespartans.com to purchase your flex plan today!
Follow USC Upstate men's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).