USC Upstate falls to 5-11, 0-1 Big South Conference and Presbyterian improves to 9-7 and 1-0 in Big South Conference play.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- For the 22nd time in his career Deion Holmes scored 20 or more points in a game. The senior lead all scorers with 21 points on Saturday afternoon and a team high four rebounds.
- Malik Moore has now scored in double figures 58 times during his career. On Saturday afternoon, the senior dropped 18 points in a losing effort to Presbyterian.
- Bryson Mozone led the Spartans in rebounds with five, while Jure Span finished with a team high three assists.
- Three Blue Hose finished the game in double figures. Francois Lewis had a team high 16 points, Cory Hightower contributed 13 points and Adam Flagler added 10 points in the win.
- USC Upstate's bench outscored Presbyterian's bench 18-12 during the game, the Spartans also finished the contest with more second chance points.
- The Spartans shot 40 percent from the field, 30 percent from three point range and 85 percent from the free throw line.
- Presbyterian shot 41 percent from the field, 25 percent from beyond the arch and 75 percent from the free throw line.
FIRST HALF BREAKDOWN
- The Blue Hose opened the game on a 7-0 run, before Holmes scored the Spartans opening basket at the 16:40 mark of the first half.
- With 16:02 to go in the opening frame, Holmes connected on his second consecutive three-pointer to pull the Spartans to within a point of Presbyterian.
- Coming out of the media timeout Moore took a pass from Brandon Martin and scored the Spartans third consecutive three point field goal of the half. The basket also gave USC Upstate a 9-8 advantage early in the game.
- Over the next several minutes the Spartans and the Blue Hose matched each other shot-for-shot, Presbyterian held just a 24-23 advantage with 6:44 left to go in the half.
- The Blue Hose went into halftime up 34-30 over the Spartans.
SECOND HALF BREAKDOWN
- Presbyterian opened the second half on a 7-3 run, before Bryson Mozone knocked down a three pointer at the 17:44 mark to make it a 40-36 game.
- Cory Hightower sank a pair of free throws with 9:58 to go in the game. The free throws gave the Blue Hose a 56-42 advantage and force USC Upstate to call a timeout.
- Out of the timeout Pat Welch hit a timely three pointer to pull the Spartans back within nine points of the Blue Hose.
- With 2:29 remaining in the game, Holmes made a three point basket to pull the Spartans to within four points.
- At the 59 second mark of the second half, Holmes drew a foul while making a layup attempt. The layup went in and Holmes was able to swish in a free throw making the score 64-61.
- USC Upstate called a timeout with 18 seconds to go in the game down by three. The Spartans drew up a last second play, but Holmes was unable to sink the game tying three pointer as time expired.
- The Spartans will host Radford this coming Thursday at 7:00 p.m. inside the G.B. Hodge Center.
Follow USC Upstate men's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).