ATLANTA, Ga. – The USC Upstate men's basketball team closed out non-conference play on Wednesday evening with a 79-63 road loss to Georgia Tech.
The loss drops the Spartans to 5-10 on the season while Georgia Tech improves to 8-5.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- For the second consecutive game Malik Moore led the Spartans in scoring. The senior finished the night with 18 points and a team high 3 steals.
- Fellow senior Deion Homes added 12 points and 6 rebounds in the contest.
- Nevin Zink and Bryson Mozone also hauled in 6 rebounds, while Dalvin White led the team with 5 assists in the loss.
- A quartet of Yellow Jackets scored in double figures. Evan Cole led the team with 16 points, Michael Devoe added 14 points, while Brandon Alston and Curtis Haywood II each contributed 10 points in the contest.
- James Banks III led Georgia Tech in rebounds (6) and in blocks (3).
- The Spartans shot 30% from the field, 22% from three-point range and 61% from the free throw line.
- USC Upstate forced 16 Georgia Tech turnovers and scored 17 points off of the miscues.
- The Spartans hauled in 14 offensive rebounds and scored 10 second chance points.
- The game featured 7 lead changes and 3 ties.
FIRST HALF BREAKDOWN
- USC Upstate jumped out to a 4-0 lead and held a 6-2 advantage with 15:24 remaining in the opening half.
- Georgia Tech responded with a 9-0 run over the next two minutes of game time.
- At the 9:29 mark of the first half, Deion Holmes knockdown a three-pointer to tie the game at 13 all.
- The game remained deadlocked for the next 6 minutes of action as each team traded baskets. The Yellow Jackets ended the first half on a 12-4 run.
- Georgia Tech led 33-25 going into the halftime break.
- USC Upstate scored 13 points off of Georgia Tech turnovers.
- The Spartans shot 32 percent from the field in the opening half.
SECOND HALF BREAKDOWN
- USC Upstate opened the second half on a 8-2 run and trimmed the Georgia Tech lead down to a pair of points in the opening four minutes of play.
- Georgia Tech then went on an 11-2 run to pull ahead of the Spartans.
- A three pointer by Bryson Mozone brought the score to 46-40 with 11:16 remaining in the game.
- The Yellow Jackets responded with another 11-2 run to go up by 15 with 8:50 remaining in the contest.
- Georgia Tech saw their lead balloon to 19 points on two different occasions down the stretch.
- A big part of the Yellow Jackets success came in the paint, Georgia Tech outscored the Spartans 30-8 down low in the second half.
The Spartans stay on the road as they open up Big South play against Presbyterian on Saturday afternoon. Tip-off is slated for 4:00 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate men's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).