SPARTANBURG, S.C. – Senior forward Malik Moore dropped a career high 33 points in route to a USC Upstate 89-69 victory over Coker on Saturday afternoon from the Eddie and Ann Payne Arena located in the in the G.B. Hodge Center.
USC Upstate improves to 5-9 on the season and Coker falls to 2-9 on the year.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Moore not only had a career high 33 points but he also hauled in a season high 12 rebounds. This is Moore's fourth double-double of the season.
- Ross Ryan had a career high 10 points in the first half of Saturday's victory. Ryan finished the day a perfect 4-4 from the field.
- Jure Span finished with a game high 5 assists.
- Coker had four players finish in double-figures, Chandler Lindsey led the way with 16 points.
- Larry Cooper added 15 points, LaDarius Williams contributed 12 points and Marquis Green finished with 11 points.
- The Spartans shot an even 50 percent from the field and 47 percent from beyond the three point arch. USC Upstate shot 77 percent from the free throw line.
- USC Upstate outscored the Cobras 40-36 in the paint, 34-15 off of turnovers and 18-7 on second chance points. The Spartans bench edged out Coker's bench 34-33 during the contest.
- The game featured 7 lead changes and 5 ties.
FIRST HALF BREAKDOWN
- Coker began the game on a 5-0 run.
- USC Upstate countered with a 10-3 run and took their first lead of the game at the 15:14 mark of the first half.
- Larry Cooper knocked down a jumper at the 14:57 mark to tie the game at 10 all. The jumper sparked a 5-2 run for the Cobras over the next few minutes of game time.
- Bryson Mozone took a pass from Jure Span and laid the ball in with 10:08 remaining in the half. The layup capped off a 9-2 run by USC Upstate.
- A Marquis Green free throw at the 8:30 mark gave the Cobras a 25-23 advantage, it was the last lead of the game for Coker.
- USC Upstate took the lead back with a 12-3 run over the next 4:47 of game time.
- The Spartans took a 49-35 lead into the halftime break.
- USC Upstate shot 51 percent from the field and 55 percent from beyond the arch.
SECOND HALF BREAKDOWN
- The Spartans started the second half on a 9-2 run. Moore capped off the run with a layup at the 16:32 mark of the half.
- USC Upstate held a 21 point advantage with 13:15 remaining in the half. The three touchdown lead was the largest of the game for the Spartans.
- Coker responded with a 16-5 run over the next two minutes to bring the Cobras back within ten.
- The Spartans ended the game on a 19-9 run.
- USC Upstate scored 15 points off turnovers and had 11 second chance points in the second half.
- USC Upstate travels to Atlanta on January 2, 2018 to face Georgia Tech, tip-off is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate men's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).