RALEIGH, N.C. – The USC Upstate men's basketball team had six players score in double figures on Saturday afternoon but ultimately fell to N.C. State 98-71 inside PNC Arena.
With the loss USC Upstate falls to 4-9 on the season while N.C. State improved to 11-1.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- The Spartans had six players score in double figures, Pat Welch, Brandon Martin, Everette Hammond, Nevin Zink, Deion Holmes and Malik Moore.
- Welch for a second consecutive game reset his career high and led the Spartans with 14 points.
- Martin set a new career high with 4 steals and Hammond set a new career high in assists with 4.
- Josh Aldrich led the team in rebounding with 4 boards in the game.
- N.C. State had five players score in double digits with Eric Lockett leading the way with 15 points.
- USC Upstate finished the game shooting 46 percent from the field and 28 percent from beyond the three-point arch.
- N.C. State finished the game shooting 53 percent from the field and 42 percent from beyond the three-point line.
FIRST HALF BREAKDOWN
- Malik Moore scored the first basket of the game following an N.C. State turnover.
- The Spartans held their largest lead (4-1) of the game at the 18:43 mark of the first half.
- Over the next several minutes the Wolfpack went on a 12-3 run to take the lead back for good.
- At the 12:09 mark of the game Brandon Martin laid the ball into the basket to stop a three minute scoring drought for the Spartans.
- Following the under 12 media timeout, the Spartans went on a 6-2 run to close scoring gap.
- The half ended on a 17-10 run by N.C. State.
- Pat Welch scored 11 first half points.
- The Spartans shot 48 percent from the field in the opening half.
SECOND HALF BREAKDOWN
- Nevin Zink scored the first points for the Spartans in the second half.
- N.C. State went on a 9-4 run to force USC Upstate to call a timeout with 15:43 remaining in the game.
- At the 10:49 mark of the second half, Everett Hammond made a driving layup to pull the Spartans to within eight points.
- Over the next six minutes of game time the Wolfpack went on a 21-6 run to put the game out of reach.
- The Spartans finished the game on a 10-8 run.
- USC Upstate shot 45 percent from the field in the second half.
- N.C. State shot 50 percent from the field in the second half.
- USC Upstate returns home to face Coker College on December 29, 2018. Tip-off is scheduled for 4 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate men's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).