Spartanburg, S.C. – Malik Moore registered his third consecutive double-double on Saturday afternoon as the USC Upstate men's basketball team dropped a 74-60 decision to the 25th-ranked Furman Paladins from Eddie and Ann Payne Arena in the G.B. Hodge Center.
USC Upstate falls to 2-8 on the season while Furman improves to 10-0 overall.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Moore led all players with his third double-double of the season, and ninth of his career, on a game-high 24 points and 11 rebounds. He also contributed three assists, two steals and one block.
- Bryson Mozone came off the bench to score eight points on 3-of-3 shooting and 2-for-2 behind the 3-point line.
- Dalvin White tied Moore with three assists.
- Josh Aldrich, Nevin Zink and Ross Ryan all had two blocks.
- Jordan Lyons was one of four Paladins to score in double-figures with a team-high 20 points.
- Noah Gurley scored 15 points while Matt Rafferty and Alex Hunter recorded 11 and 10, respectively.
- Rafferty pulled down a team-leading nine rebounds and also had four assists, three steals and two blocks.
- Hunter dished out a game-high seven assists.
- The Spartans finished the game shooting 38.6 percent (22-of-57) from the field.
- USC Upstate held a 9-7 advantage in second chance points, 8-5 in fast break points and 16-10 in bench points.
- The game featured eight lead changes and three ties.
FIRST HALF BREAKDOWN
- Following a Gurley 3-pointer to start the game, the Spartans outscored Furman 10-2 over the next 3:15 and led 10-5 at the 15:39 mark on a layup by Moore.
- The Paladins outscored USC Upstate 12-2 over the next five minutes and took a 17-12 lead.
- The Spartans came back to hold a 21-19 advantage with 7:21 remaining on a jumper from Brandon Martin.
- Moore would give USC Upstate a 26-22 lead with 5:27 left after his jumper.
- The Spartans led by as many as five points twice in the opening half starting at 32-27 with 1:34 to go on Aldrich's 3-pointer.
- A dunk by Deion Holmes with 36 seconds remaining extended USC Upstate's lead to 34-29.
- Clay Mounce made one free throw with 17 seconds left and sent the Spartans into halftime leading 34-30.
SECOND HALF BREAKDOWN
- Furman started the second half on a 15-2 run, including back-to-back 3-pointers by Lyons and Hunter, to take a 45-36 lead at the 15:54 mark.
- Gurley would put the Paladins ahead by double-digits, 50-39, with 12:51 left on a 3-pointer.
- Furman would lead by double-figures for the game's final 12:51.
- USC Upstate got as close as 12 points three times in the second half starting at 57-45 with 8:06 to go on a 3-point play by Moore.
- The Paladins held their largest lead of the game at 63-45 with 7:10 remaining.
- Moore and Jure Span answered with five straight points to cut the Spartans deficit to 63-50 with 6:15 left.
- Mozone connected on a 3-pointer at the 4:54 mark to put the score at 65-53.
- Furman led by as many as 16 points twice over the final five minutes.
- Ryan's steal and layup with 1:11 left trimmed the lead to 72-60.
- Rafferty's layup with 48 seconds remaining made the final score 74-60.
- USC Upstate is off until Saturday, Dec. 15 when it hosts South Carolina State at 4 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate men's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).