Spartanburg, S.C.—25 points from Deion Homes and a double-double from Malik Moore helped the USC Upstate men's basketball team beat the Western Michigan Broncos by a score of 71-66 on Saturday afternoon from University Arena.
USC Upstate improves to 2-6 on the season and Western Michigan falls to 4-4.
A Look at the Numbers
- Deion Holmes leads all scorers with 25 points off 10-16 shooting and 4-5 from three point territory.
- Malik Moore ends the game with a double-double after scoring 18 points and capturing 10 rebounds. Moore also tallied 4 steals, 2 blocks, and 2 assists.
- Freshman Brandon Martin also finished in double figures with his 16 points off 6 of 8 shooting and a perfect 4-4 from the line.
- WMU's Seth Dugan lead the Bronco's in scoring with 20 points off 7 of 14 shooting.
- Michael Flowers lead the Broncos in assist with 4 while contributing 13 points.
- USC Upstate finished the game shooting 46.8% [29-62] of the field goals and 38.9% [7-18] on 3 pointers.
- Upstate outscored the Broncos 38-34 in the paint, 14-0 on fast break points, and 20-9 in points off the bench.
- The game featured 7 ties and 5 lead changes.
First Half Breakdown
- Holmes led all scorers in first half with 11 points while Moore lead the team with 3 boards and White with 3 assists.
- At the 16:55 mark in the first half Josh Aldrich got the Spartans on the board with his first 3 pointer.
- Deion Holmes scores 5 straight points to tie the game at 8-8 with 14:28 remaining in the first half.
- Brandon Martin scored his first bucket of the first half with a sky hook down low to cut the Bronco's lead to 16-19.
- After stealing the ball at half court Upstate's Malik Moore scores on a lay up to tie the game at 24-24 with 3:05 remaining in the first half. The very next upstate position Moore scores 2 to give the Spartans the 26-24 lead.
- Spartans found themselves down 9 with 7:45 left, but were able to eliminate that deficit and go to the locker-room tied 30-30 at halftime.
Second Half Breakdown
- Following a 7-0 Western Michigan run Ross Ryan scores the Spartan's first 2 of the second half to cut the Bronco's lead to 5.
- Deion Holmes scores on a layup at the 16:46 mark of the second half to get the Spartans to within 4.
- Following a Kawanise Wilkins layup the Bronco's match their largest lead of the game at 9 with the score 39-48. On the next Upstate position Deion Holmes scores from 3 cut the Bronco's lead to 42-48.
- At the 7:36 mark of the second half Brand Martin scores his eighth straight point off a behind the back pass from Jure Span to cut the Bronco's lead to 1 at 50-51.
- WMU's Seth Dugan and Upstate's Malik Moore score on back to back positions to bring the score to 52-53 with just over 7 minutes remaining in the second half.
- Martin then scores 1 of 2 at the line to tie the game at 53-53.
- On the ensuing WMU position Upstate's Malik Moore steals the ball from WMU's #12 Michael Flowers and proceeds to put the Bronco's Josh Davis on a poster with an emphatic dunk that gives the Spartan's a 55-53 lead with 5:33 remaining.
- A few positions later Martin scores 3 the old fashion way to give the Spartan's a 58-55 lead with just under five minutes remaining.
- Following a 5-0 Bronco run Moore scores on a layup to tie the game at 60-60 with 3:35 remaining in the contest.
- With 3:13 left in the game Upstate's Deion Holmes comes back into the game and goes on to score the next 8 points for the Spartans giving Upstate the 68-64 lead with 1:18 left to play.
- With 1:01 left in the game WMU's Michael Flowers converts on a pair of free throws to bring the Bronco's to within 2 of the Spartans with the score 68-66. Upstate's Malik Moore is followed on the next position and converts on 1 of the 2 free throws to give the Spartan's a 69-66 lead with 36 seconds remaining.
- Brandon Martin scores the final 2 points for the Spartan's at the charity stripe with 7 seconds remaining. On the ensuing WMU position Upstate's Malik Moore steals the ball from WMU's Michael Flowers to end any chance of a Bronco comeback.
- With the 71-66 victory Dave Dickerson and the Upstate Spartan's grab their second win of the season.