Portland, Ore. – Hank Hollingsworth's field goal with four seconds remaining in overtime lifted the Cal Poly Mustangs to a 75-74 victory over the USC Upstate men's basketball team on Saturday evening as the Spartans concluded play at the Classic at Portland from the Chiles Center.
USC Upstate falls to 1-5 on the season while Cal Poly improves to 2-4 overall.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Bryson Mozone led the Spartans offensively after scoring a career-high 22 points on 8-of-12 shooting including a 6-for-9 mark behind the 3-point line.
- Deion Holmes registered his first double-double of the season on 13 points and 10 rebounds.
- Brandon Martin set three new career-highs with nine points, eight rebounds and three steals.
- Malik Moore also contributed nine points and eight rebounds.
- Donovan Fields had a game-high 21 points for the Mustangs.
- Hollingsworth finished with a double-double of 14 points and 12 rebounds.
- Marcellus Garrick collected 15 points and Mark Crowe 11.
- USC Upstate finished the game shooting 39.7 percent (27-of-68) from the field.
- The Spartans held a 25-9 advantage in fast break points and 40-12 in bench points.
- The game featured nine lead changes and two ties.
FIRST HALF BREAKDOWN
- USC Upstate opened the game on an 11-4 run and took a seven-point lead at the 15:42 mark on a 3-pointer by Mozone.
- Cal Poly followed with an 8-0 run that covered 2:05 and took a 12-11 lead with 14:21 remaining.
- The Spartans outscored the Mustangs 10-3 over the next five minutes and went back in front by six points, 21-15, with 9:56 left after Nevin Zink made two free throws.
- USC Upstate led by as many as nine points twice in the first half starting at 33-24 with 2:39 to go after a jumper from Mozone.
- Martin kept the Spartans in front by nine, 38-29, following his jumper with 43 seconds remaining.
- Tuukka Jaakola's layup with 22 seconds left for the Mustangs sent USC Upstate into halftime leading 38-31.
SECOND HALF BREAKDOWN
- The Spartans jumped out to a 12-point advantage at 45-33 with 15:51 left on a layup by Holmes.
- Cal Poly cut the lead down to five points before Martin answered with a 3-point play and put USC Upstate ahead 48-40 with 12:27 remaining.
- The Mustangs tied the game at 51-51 with 7:50 to go on a 3-pointer by Daxton Carr.
- Martin responded at the 6:13 mark and gave the Spartans the lead back at 53-52.
- Cal Poly came back with a 10-2 run that covered almost three minutes and held a 62-55 lead.
- Garrick kept the Mustangs ahead 65-61 with 1:39 left in regulation.
- USC Upstate finished the game on a 6-2 run and sent the game into overtime tied 67-67.
- Jure Span's 3-pointer with 47 seconds left tied the game for the Spartans.
- USC Upstate scored the first seven points in overtime, capped by a 3-point play from Holmes, and led 74-67 at the 2:59 mark.
- Cal Poly collected the final eight points over the last 2:46.
- Fields made it a 74-73 game with 32 seconds left.
- Hollingsworth scored the game-winner with four seconds remaining on a jumper.
- The Spartans return to Eddie and Ann Payne Arena in the G.B. Hodge Center on Wednesday, Nov. 28 to host Gardner-Webb in a non-conference game at 7 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate men's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).