Portland, Ore. – Malik Moore registered a team-high 13 points as the USC Upstate men's basketball team continued play at the Classic at Portland on Friday evening with an 82-50 loss to the Texas State Bobcats at Portland's Chiles Center.
USC Upstate falls to 1-4 on the season while Texas State improves to 4-1 overall.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Moore concluded the game shooting 5-of-12 from the field and connected on three 3-pointers to lead the Spartans offensively with 13 points.
- Jure Span and Everette Hammond each had eight points.
- Bryson Mozone led USC Upstate on defense with six rebounds to go with six points.
- Tre'Larenz Nottingham led all players with a game-high 25 points for the Bobcats after shooting 7-of-13 overall including 9-for-11 at the free throw line.
- Nijal Pearson finished with 18 points on 7-of-12 shooting and pulled down five rebounds.
- Jaylen Shead grabbed a team-high seven rebounds.
- The Spartans finished the game shooting 32.7 percent (17-of-52) from the field and 42.9 percent (9-of-21) behind the 3-point line.
- USC Upstate totaled 15 points off turnovers, 12 points in the paint, seven second chance points and five fast break points.
- Both teams had 25 bench points as Hammond scored eight.
FIRST HALF BREAKDOWN
- Texas State scored the game's first four points before Span connected on a 3-pointer and cut the Spartans deficit to 4-3 with 16:06 remaining.
- After the Bobcats extended their lead out to five points, USC Upstate got to within two twice with the last coming at 8-6 with 13:44 to go on Mozone's 3-pointer.
- Everette Hammond's free throw with 12:09 to go cut the score down to 10-9.
- Hammond followed with a jumper at the 11:16 mark to give the Spartans an 11-10 lead.
- Texas State responded with a 9-0 run that lasted 3:05 and held a 19-11 advantage with 7:33 remaining.
- A layup by Ross Ryan with 5:59 left trimmed the score down to 21-15.
- The Bobcats concluded the half on an 18-3 run over the final 5:32 and led 39-18 at halftime.
SECOND HALF BREAKDOWN
- Texas State led by 23 points twice over the first 2:28 to begin the second half.
- Moore scored five straight points and put the score at 44-26 with 16:04 to go.
- Span added a jumper one minute later as the Bobcats led 46-28.
- Texas State would take a 51-28 lead with 12:59 remaining to cap a run of five consecutive points.
- USC Upstate responded with an 11-2 run that lasted 3:03 and trailed 53-39 at the 9:39 mark on a 3-pointer by Moore.
- The Bobcats then scored 10 straight points to lead 63-39 with 6:51 left.
- Texas State led by at least 20 points for the game's final 8:11.
- The Spartans got as close as 22 points, 63-41, with 6:11 to go after a pair of free throws from Dalvin White.
- Pat Welch knocked down a 3-pointer at the 4:19 mark and made the score 69-46.
- The Bobcats finished the game on a 13-4 run and a jumper with 15 seconds remaining put the final score at 82-50.
- USC Upstate closes out play at the Classic at Portland on Saturday evening at 5:30 p.m. EST against Cal Poly.
Follow USC Upstate men's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).