Portland, Ore. – Playing in his first game of the season, Deion Holmes scored a game-high 20 points as the USC Upstate men's basketball team opened play at the Classic at Portland on Wednesday evening with a 73-56 loss to the Portland Pilots at the Chiles Center.
USC Upstate falls to 1-3 on the season while Portland improves to 4-2 overall.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Holmes registered his 19th career game scoring 20 or more points after leading all players with 20 on 8-of-17 shooting. He also had six rebounds and two assists.
- Jure Span and Josh Aldrich each contributed eight points.
- Malik Moore scored seven points and grabbed a team-high nine rebounds.
- Josh McSwiggan was one of three Pilots to score in double-figures after recording a team-high 17 points on 5-of-7 shooting, 4-of-6 from behind the 3-point line and 3-of-4 at the free throw line.
- Marcus Shaver Jr. posted 13 points while JoJo Walker tallied 11.
- Theo Akwuba added a game-high 11 rebounds.
- The Spartans finished the game shooting 27.7 percent (18-of-65) from the field.
- USC Upstate held a 14-8 advantage in points off turnovers and 16-13 in fast break points.
- The Spartans bench also led 27-21 highlighted by Holmes' 20 points.
FIRST HALF BREAKDOWN
- Portland scored the game's first five points before Moore connected on a 3-pointer to cut the score to 5-3 with 16:46 left.
- The Pilots would then go on a 7-2 run and took a 12-5 lead at the 13:14 mark.
- Holmes made it a 12-8 game with 12:00 remaining following his 3-pointer.
- Portland went ahead by 11 points twice over a stretch of 1:50 with the last coming at 21-10 with 7:55 left.
- USC Upstate would get as close as nine points, 19-10, with 9:08 to go on a layup from Holmes.
- The Pilots led by double-figures for the final 7:55.
- The Spartans trailed 29-19 at the 4:08 mark as Holmes scored five straight points to make it a 10-point contest.
- Portland finished the half on a 9-0 run over the final 3:29 and led 38-19 at intermission.
SECOND HALF BREAKDOWN
- USC Upstate outscored the Pilots 37-35 in the second half.
- The Spartans scored nine of the first 17 points during the initial 3:15 and cut their deficit to 46-28 at the 16:45 mark on a 3-pointer by Span.
- Portland responded with a 13-3 run that covered nearly five minutes and increased its lead to 59-31 with 11:59 remaining.
- The Pilots led by as many as 30 points in the game three times.
- Portland held a 69-39 advantage following a dunk with 5:03 to go.
- USC Upstate made a late charge courtesy of a 11-0 run that lasted 1:29 and cut the score down to 69-50 with 3:25 remaining after a 3-pointer from Aldrich.
- Aldrich scored six of the 11 points during the run on two 3-pointers.
- The Spartans got as close as 16 points, 71-55, with 1:57 left on a jumper by Holmes.
- Nevin Zink made one free throw with 1:07 remaining to put the final score at 73-56.
- USC Upstate continues play at the Classic at Portland on Friday evening at 7:30 p.m. EST versus Texas State.
Follow USC Upstate men's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).