Lexington, Va. – Malik Moore led four Spartans in double-figures on Wednesday evening as the USC Upstate men's basketball team fell 78-72 to the VMI Keydets in non-conference play at Cameron Hall.
USC Upstate falls to 1-2 on the season while VMI improves to 3-1 overall.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Moore finished the game shooting 8-of-12 from the field and scored a team-high 17 points.
- Everette Hammond was 7-of-12 from the floor and contributed a career-high 16 points.
- Bryson Mozone set two career-highs on Wednesday as the freshman totaled 10 points and a team-best seven rebounds.
- Jure Span tallied 10 points, six assists and four steals.
- Thomas Booker collected nine points and Nevin Zink eight.
- The Keydets also had four players score 10 points or more led by Jake Stephens with a game-high 20 on 6-of-7 shooting and 4-for-4 behind the 3-point line.
- Bubba Parham added 14 points, Greg Parham 12 and Sarju Patel 11.
- Myles Lewis led all players with eight rebounds.
- The Spartans finished the game shooting 46.9 percent (30-of-64) from the field including a 17-for-33 mark (51.5 percent) in the second half.
- USC Upstate also led 42-26 in points in the paint, 7-6 in second chance points and 19-11 in fast break points.
- The game featured four ties and six lead changes.
FIRST HALF BREAKDOWN
- VMI scored the first six points of the game and opened on an 8-2 run over the initial 2:12.
- The Spartans responded with six straight points and tied the score at 8-8 with 13:50 remaining on a layup from Booker.
- Booker tied the game again at 10-10 with 12:26 left on his jumper.
- The Keydets used a 10-3 run over nearly a five-minute stretch and took their largest lead of the half at 20-13 with 7:38 to go.
- Mozone capped a 7-2 run for USC Upstate at the 5:50 mark when his 3-pointer cut the lead to 22-20.
- Mozone completed a four-point play with 3:35 remaining and gave the Spartans a 26-24 lead after his 3-pointer and free throw.
- Hammond scored four consecutive points and put USC Upstate back in the lead at 31-28 with 1:36 left.
- Stephens knocked down a 3-pointer for VMI with 1:20 to go and tied the score at 31-31 heading into halftime.
SECOND HALF BREAKDOWN
- After the Keydets took the lead to start the second half, Mozone connected on another 3-pointer to give the Spartans a 34-32 advantage less than a minute into the half.
- Moore gave USC Upstate a four-point lead twice over a period of 37 seconds with the last coming at 40-36 with 16:34 remaining on his layup.
- Moore handed the Spartans their largest lead of the game when his layup at the 15:13 mark made the score 42-36.
- VMI outscored USC Upstate 18-7 over the following 6:05 and went ahead 54-49 with 9:08 left on Bubba Parham's layup.
- The Spartans got as close as five points twice before Moore's dunk with 4:47 to go cut their deficit down to 60-57.
- Greg Parham extended the Keydets lead to their largest of the game at 68-58 with 2:15 remaining.
- USC Upstate quickly responded with 9-3 run covering less than a minute and trailed 71-67 at the 1:09 mark on a 3-pointer by Span.
- VMI scored its final five points at the free throw line.
- Span's layup with 15 seconds left put the score at 76-72.
- Bubba Parham made two free throws with 10 seconds remaining and made the final score 78-72.
- The Spartans are off until Nov. 21-24 when they travel to Portland, Ore. to face Portland, Texas State and Cal Poly in the Classic at Portland.
Follow USC Upstate men's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).