Spartanburg, S.C. – Malik Moore scored a game-high 20 points, and joined the program's 1,000 career point club, on Saturday afternoon as the USC Upstate men's basketball team won the first game of the Dave Dickerson era with an 86-43 victory over the Brevard College Tornados from Eddie and Ann Payne Arena in the G.B. Hodge Center.
USC Upstate improves to 1-1 on the season while Brevard falls to 1-1 overall.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Moore becomes the 24th member of the Spartans 1,000 point club joining teammate Deion Holmes.
- Moore finished with a game-high 20 points on 5-of-7 shooting, and 8-of-9 at the free throw line, while adding seven rebounds and five assists.
- Nevin Zink, Everette Hammond and Thomas Booker all had 14 points.
- Zink just missed on a double-double after leading all players with eight rebounds and finished 7-of-9 shooting from the field.
- Booker went 5-for-6 overall and made both of his 3-point attempts.
- Hammond tied for a game-high with three steals.
- Levi Lamb led the Tornados offensively with 11 points.
- Demari Hopper contributed six rebounds and three steals.
- USC Upstate finished the game shooting 49.2 percent (30-of-61) from the field and made 19 free throw attempts.
- The Spartans limited Brevard to just four 3-pointers in the game including a 1-for-8 mark in the second half.
- USC Upstate held a 34-22 advantage in points in the paint, 25-12 in points off turnovers, 10-2 in second chance points and 6-0 in fast break points.
- The Spartans also led 35-19 in bench points with Booker scoring 14.
FIRST HALF BREAKDOWN
- Lamb scored the first three points for the Tornados as they led 3-2 less than two minutes into the game.
- USC Upstate answered with an 18-4 run over the following 6:23 and took a 20-7 lead with 12:25 left on a 3-pointer by Booker.
- Moore scored nine of the 18 points for the Spartans during their run.
- Pat Welch connected on a layup and gave USC Upstate a 26-11 lead with 9:35 left.
- The Spartans led by at least 15 points for a majority of the first half.
- Hammond made 1-of-2 free throws at the 6:24 mark and put USC Upstate ahead 33-14.
- The Spartans led by as many as 20 points twice in the first half starting at 42-22 with 2:11 to go on a layup from Josh Aldrich.
- Hammond's layup with 49 seconds left gave USC Upstate a 44-24 lead at halftime.
SECOND HALF BREAKDOWN
- Zink scored 10 of his 14 points over the first six minutes of the second half with his final basket, a layup, putting the Spartans ahead 56-28 with 14:17 to go.
- Moore and Booker followed with four straight points as USC Upstate held a 60-28 advantage at the 12:32 mark.
- Brevard would get as close as 26 points the rest of the way as Noah Lea's dunk at the 9:45 mark made the score 60-34.
- A four-point play from Booker extended the Spartans lead to 72-39 with 6:22 remaining.
- USC Upstate led by at least 34 points over the final 4:57 of the game.
- Welch gave the Spartans a 79-39 lead with his 3-pointer at the 3:14 mark.
- Hammond followed on the next possession with a triple as USC Upstate led 82-40 with 2:32 remaining.
- The Spartans took their largest lead of 43 points with 31 seconds left in the game when a pair of free throws from Brandon Martin put the final score at 86-43.
- USC Upstate travels to Lexington, Va. on Wednesday, Nov. 14 for a 7 p.m. tipoff at VMI.
Follow USC Upstate men's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).