Columbia, S.C. – Malik Moore nearly finished with a double-double on Tuesday evening as the USC Upstate men's basketball team began the Dave Dickerson era with a 65-52 loss to the South Carolina Gamecocks at Colonial Life Arena.
USC Upstate falls to 0-1 on the season while South Carolina improves to 1-0 overall.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Moore led the Spartans on both sides of the ball registering a team-high 16 points and nine rebounds on 5-of-11 shooting, and 6-for-8 at the free throw line, to go with three assists.
- Playing in his first collegiate game, Everette Hammond connected on three 3-pointers and finished with 13 points and seven rebounds.
- Dalvin White dished out a team-high four assists.
- Ross Ryan tied Hammond for the team-lead with two steals.
- Chris Silva led the Gamecocks with a double-double of 13 points and 11 rebounds.
- Hassani Gravett led all players with 12 rebounds.
- Keyshawn Bryant scored a game-high 21 points and pulled down seven rebounds.
- USC Upstate finished the game shooting 32.8 percent (19-for-58) and made seven of its 10 free throw attempts.
- The Spartans made a total of seven 3-pointers while holding South Carolina to 0-for-18 beyond the arc.
- USC Upstate tied with the Gamecocks at 6-6 in fast break points.
- The Spartans also recorded 16 points in the paint, 11 points off turnovers and six second chance points.
- USC Upstate's bench contributed 13 points led by six from Brandon Martin.
FIRST HALF BREAKDOWN
- The Spartans jumped out to an early seven-point lead over South Carolina after starting on a 9-2 run over the first 3:26.
- Moore and Bryson Mozone scored all nine points to start the game as Moore's layup at the 16:34 mark put USC Upstate ahead 9-2.
- The Gamecocks would then go on a 20-0 run covering a stretch of nearly eight minutes and took a 22-9 lead with 7:34 remaining on a layup from A.J. Lawson.
- Silva put South Carolina ahead by 11 points twice with the last coming at 25-14 with 4:38 left after a pair of free throws.
- The Spartans followed with an 8-3 run over the next 3:11 and trailed 28-22 with 1:27 to go as Moore was fouled and then made all three free throw attempts.
- Bryant's jumper with 1:12 remaining gave the Gamecocks a 30-22 lead at halftime.
SECOND HALF BREAKDOWN
- USC Upstate scored six of the first seven points to begin the second half and cut its deficit down to 31-28 at the 17:31 mark on a 3-point play from Moore.
- The Spartans went scoreless for almost three minutes before Ryan's layup with 14:43 left put them within six points at 36-30.
- A pair of free throws from Gravett gave South Carolina a 42-30 lead with 12:42 to go.
- Lawson gave the Gamecocks their largest lead of the game at 53-35 at the 7:45 mark after making two free throws.
- Trailing 55-38 with 4:40 remaining, USC Upstate posted an 8-0 run, highlighted by back-to-back 3-pointers from Hammond, and made it a 55-46 game with 2:25 left.
- Thomas Booker got the Spartans within the nine-point margin with his jumper.
- South Carolina extended its lead back to 13 points before Hammond was successful on another 3-point attempt as USC Upstate trailed 61-52 with 34 seconds left in the game.
- The Gamecocks scored the game's final four points for the 65-52 victory.
- The Spartans open their home schedule on Saturday afternoon hosting Brevard at 4 p.m. from Eddie and Ann Payne Arena inside the G.B. Hodge Center.
Follow USC Upstate men's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).