Jacksonville, Fla. – Deion Holmes scored over 20 points for the ninth time this season to lead the USC Upstate men's basketball team offensively as the Spartans dropped their final regular season road game, 82-70, to the Jacksonville Dolphins on Saturday evening from Historic Swisher Gym.
USC Upstate falls to 7-23 overall and 2-11 in the ASUN while Jacksonville improves to 13-17 on the season and 7-6 in conference play.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Holmes finished with a game-high 28 points on 11-of-18 shooting, including 5-for-9 from 3-point range, and tied his career-best with four assists.
- The 28 points give Holmes 18 games in his career with at least 20 points.
- Holmes was one of three Spartans to score in double-figures along with Mike Cunningham (14) and Ramel Thompkins (10).
- Malik Moore and Avery Diggs both led USC Upstate defensively with eight rebounds.
- Devin Harris had a double-double on 21 points and 11 rebounds for the Dolphins to go with five assists.
- Jace Hogan contributed 18 points, Jalyn Hinton 15, Tanner Rubio 13 and Antwon Clayton 12.
- Clayton collected eight rebounds and five assists.
- The Spartans concluded the game shooting 37.5 percent (27-of-72) from the field.
- USC Upstate also held a 10-9 advantage in points off turnovers and 10-4 in fast break points.
- Both teams recorded eight second chance points.
- The game featured four ties and four lead changes.
FIRST HALF BREAKDOWN
- Jacksonville scored the game's first six points and led 6-0 less than three minutes into the contest.
- The Spartans followed with the next eight points over the following minute and took an 8-6 lead at the 16:37 mark on Cunningham's 3-pointer.
- Thompkins followed two possessions later with a 3-pointer and gave USC Upstate an 11-8 lead with 15:18 left.
- After the Dolphins scored six straight points on 3-pointers, the Spartans got a triple from Holmes to tie the game at 14-14 with 11:33 remaining.
- Moore completed a 3-point play with 9:47 to go and put USC Upstate back in front 17-16 at the 9:47 mark.
- Jacksonville answered with a 13-0 run that lasted almost four minutes and took its largest lead of the half at 29-17 with 5:54 left.
- Clayton's two free throws 24 seconds later kept the Dolphins ahead by 12 points at 31-19.
- The Spartans got as close as four points before halftime when Carson Smith knocked down a 3-pointer with 3:48 remaining and made the score 31-27 to wrap up an 8-0 run.
- Jacksonville scored the final four points of the half and led 35-27 at intermission.
SECOND HALF BREAKDOWN
- The Dolphins began the second half on a 10-4 run and took a 45-31 lead with 16:39 remaining.
- USC Upstate would cut its deficit down to nine points three times over the following two minutes with the last coming at 53-44 with 14:14 to go on a 3-pointer from Thompkins.
- Jacksonville led by double-digits over the next 11 minutes of play.
- The Dolphins held their largest lead of the game at 70-54 with 5:09 to play on a pair of free throws by Harris.
- The Spartans attempted a late rally and got to within seven points with under two minutes left in the game.
- Holmes connected on a 3-pointer with 1:51 left and cut Jacksonville's lead down to 74-67.
- The Dolphins closed the game out at the free throw line scoring six of their final eight points at the charity stripe.
- Holmes had a 3-point play at the 1:13 mark as USC Upstate trailed 79-70.
- Rubio's free throw with 19 seconds remaining put the final score at 82-70.
- The Spartans close out their regular season on Thursday, Feb. 22 when they host NJIT at 7 p.m. on Senior Night.
Follow USC Upstate men's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).