Spartanburg, S.C. – Deion Holmes had a career performance on Monday evening as the junior reached the 1,000-Point Club, while recording his first career double-double on career-highs of 39 points and 12 rebounds, as the USC Upstate men's basketball team dropped a 110-106 double-overtime decision to the Lipscomb Bisons at Eddie and Ann Payne Arena in the G.B. Hodge Center.
USC Upstate falls to 6-19 overall and 1-7 in the ASUN while Lipscomb improves to 15-8 on the season and 5-3 in conference play.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Holmes became the 23rd player in school history, and second this season, to score 1,000 career points. His career-high 39 points are tied for third-most in a game in school history equaling the mark originally set by Ty Greene at North Florida on Jan. 31, 2015.
- Holmes is the first USC Upstate men's basketball player to score 30 points in a game since Michael Buchanan during the 2015-16 season.
- Holmes set new career-highs on Monday in points (39), rebounds (12), field goals made (13), field goals attempted (25), free throws made (13), free throws attempted (14) and minutes played (48).
- Malik Moore recorded the fifth double-double of his career with 26 points and 14 rebounds. Moore tied his career-high of 14 rebounds while setting a new career mark going 12-for-12 at the free throw line. He also added four steals and three assists.
- Holmes and Moore were two of four USC Upstate players to score in double-figures as Mike Cunningham finished with 23 points and Ramel Thompkins 11. Thompkins contributed three blocks on the defensive side.
- The Bisons had five players score at least 10 points led by Rob Marberry with 38 and nine rebounds.
- Garrison Mathews posted 25 points while Michael Buckland had 15, Matt Rose 11 and Kenny Cooper 10.
- Eli Pepper led Lipscomb defensively with 10 rebounds.
- The Spartans finished the game shooting 38.5 percent (35-of-91) from the field and 87.1 percent (27-of-31) at the free throw line.
- USC Upstate also held a 53-51 advantage in rebounds and 16-14 in second chance points.
- The game featured 12 lead changes and nine ties.
FIRST HALF BREAKDOWN
- Lipscomb opened the game with four straight points on a Marberry dunk and Mathews layup.
- The Bisons led 6-2 with 15:47 to play in the opening half.
- After Lipscomb took a 9-2 lead, Jure Span connected on a 3-pointer at the 12:19 mark and brought the Spartans within one at 13-12.
- Moore gave USC Upstate a 14-13 edge on a layup with 10:29 to play.
- Lipscomb took a 21-16 lead on Rose's 3-pointer with 7:15 remaining.
- Mathews completed a 3-point play with 5:11 to go and gave the Bisons a 28-18 lead.
- Lipscomb went on a 13-0 run from the 6:25 mark until a layup by Holmes with 1:49 left.
- The Spartans finished the half scoring six straight points and trailed 36-29 at halftime.
SECOND HALF BREAKDOWN
- Rose gave the Bisons a 42-31 lead following his 3-pointer with 18:05 remaining.
- After a 3-pointer by Mathews gave Lipscomb a 51-41 lead three minutes later, USC Upstate went on a 6-0 run to pull within four, 51-47, at the 14:32 mark on a Thompkins 3-pointer.
- The Bisons answered with a 10-2 run to lead 61-49 at the under-12 media timeout.
- Cunningham's layup with 11:09 to play sparked a 9-0 run that brought the Spartans within three at 61-58.
- Marberry's layup with 3:00 to go gave Lipscomb a 77-69 lead.
- USC Upstate cut the deficit to four, 80-76, after Holmes hit two free throws with 1:21 left.
- A pair of Marberry free throws put the Bisons in front 84-78 with 39 seconds remaining.
- Cunningham and Span answered with a 3-pointer and layup to put the Spartans down 84-83 with 15 seconds to go.
- Mathews made the second of two free throw attempts for an 85-83 lead for Lipscomb.
- On the ensuing USC Upstate possession, Holmes tied the game at 85-85 with a layup.
- Mathews' game-winning layup attempt was blocked by Span with 0.7 seconds remaining and sent the game into overtime.
- Neither team led by more than two points during the first overtime period that featured six ties.
- Holmes connected on a pair of free throws with nine seconds left to put the Spartans in front 96-94.
- Mathews was fouled with 0.4 seconds remaining and made both free throws to take the game to a second overtime tied at 96-96.
SECOND OVERTIME BREAKDOWN
- The Bisons held a two-point lead to begin the second overtime but USC Upstate answered with a 7-2 run over the next 1:04 to lead 103-100 with 2:02 remaining after a 3-pointer by Cunningham.
- Thompkins put the Spartans back ahead by two, 104-102, with 1:24 to go after making 1-of-2 free throws.
- The teams traded the lead over back-to-back possessions with USC Upstate holding a 106-105 advantage with 52 seconds left after his layup.
- Lipscomb scored the game's final five points, with three coming at the free throw line, over the last 41 seconds for the 110-106 victory.
- The Spartans travel to Kennesaw State on Saturday, Feb. 3 for a 4:30 p.m. tip-off against the Owls.
Follow USC Upstate men's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).