Boiling Springs, N.C. – Malik Moore scored a team-high 12 points as the USC Upstate men's basketball team fell to the Gardner-Webb Runnin' Bulldogs 87-66 in non-conference play on Saturday afternoon at Paul Porter Arena.
Upstate falls to 3-7 on the season while Gardner-Webb improves to 3-6 overall.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Moore and Jure Span combined for 22 points as Moore led the Spartans with 12 and Span added 10.
- Isaiah Anderson came off the bench to make 4-of-5 field goal attempts and finished with nine points.
- Carson Smith also scored a career-best nine points for Upstate on 3-of-5 shooting.
- For the second straight game, Thomas Booker set a new career-high in scoring with nine points.
- Liam O'Reilly was one of four Runnin' Bulldogs to score in double-figures after recording a game-high 19 points.
- Patrick Zeck added a double-double of 13 points and 14 rebounds.
- DJ Laster contributed 18 points for Gardner-Webb while Jaheam Cornwall had 11.
- The Spartans finished the game shooting 41.1 percent after converting on 23 of their 56 field goal attempts.
- Upstate held a 27-25 advantage in bench points with all 27 coming from Anderson, Smith and Booker.
- The game featured seven ties and four lead changes.
FIRST HALF BREAKDOWN
- The Spartans scored six of their opening eight points behind the 3-point line and led 8-7 less than three minutes into the game on a triple by Mike Cunningham.
- Ramel Thompkins made three free throws with 14:34 remaining to give Upstate a 14-12 lead.
- Anderson entered the contest and made two consecutive layups and gave the Spartans an 18-14 lead at the 12:41 mark.
- The Runnin' Bulldogs followed with a 23-3 run over the next seven minutes and took a 37-21 lead at the 5:04 mark.
- Upstate would cut its deficit down to 15 points, 41-26, with 3:07 remaining on a 3-pointer by Moore.
- Gardner-Webb went ahead by 20 points with 1:16 to go before halftime and led 52-30 at intermission following two free throws with 14 seconds left.
SECOND HALF BREAKDOWN
- The Spartans outscored the Runnin' Bulldogs 5-1 to begin the second half and trailed 53-35 with 16:39 remaining on a layup by Deion Holmes.
- Gardner-Webb followed with an 11-2 run over the next 2:07 and took its largest lead of the game at 64-37.
- The Runnin' Bulldogs led by at least 20 points for the remainder of the game.
- Gardner-Webb held a 27-point advantage two more times during the following three minutes of play and went in front 70-43 at the 11:06 mark.
- Upstate would get as close as 21 points three times the rest of the contest beginning at 74-53 with 7:22 left on Thompkins' jumper.
- The Runnin' Bulldogs answered with six straight points to go back in front 80-53 with 6:09 to go.
- Over the game's final two minutes the Spartans cut the score down to 21 points twice.
- A free throw by Booker with 13 seconds left in the game put the final score at 87-66.
- Upstate travels to Manhattan, Kan. on Tuesday, Dec. 5 to face the Kansas State Wildcats at 8 p.m.
Follow Upstate men's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).