Spartanburg, S.C. – Ramel Thompkins scored a career-high 26 points to lead the USC Upstate men's basketball team offensively but the Spartans dropped an 82-72 non-conference decision to the Charleston Southern Buccaneers on Saturday afternoon at the G.B. Hodge Center.
Upstate falls to 1-3 on the season while Charleston Southern improves to 2-2 overall.
A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS
- Thompkins scored 20 of his 26 points in the second half and finished the game shooting a career-best 9-of-13 from the field and 8-for-11 behind the 3-point line. He just missed on his second double-double of the season after finishing with nine rebounds.
- For the fourth consecutive game, the Spartans had four players score in double-figures led by the 26 points from Thompkins.
- Jure Span contributed 15 points, four assists and two steals while shooting 5-for-11 overall and connected on three of his five 3-point attempts.
- Mike Cunningham posted 11 points and Malik Moore 10.
- Phlandrous Fleming scored a team-high 19 points for the Buccaneers and led four players in double-digits scoring.
- Christian Keeling had 14 points and nine rebounds, while Travis McConico collected 13 points and Cortez Mitchell 12.
- Upstate concluded the game shooting 23-of-58 (39.7 percent) from the field and 14-for-38 (36.8 percent) from 3-point range. The Spartans also made 12 of their 17 free throw attempts.
- The Spartans made 14 3-pointers for the third time this season with the 38 attempts marking a season-high.
FIRST HALF BREAKDOWN
- Upstate opened the game on a 9-1 run taking up less than three minutes.
- Moore opened the scoring with a layup three seconds into the contest and later pushed the Spartans lead out to eight at the 17:24 mark.
- Charleston Southern answered with seven straight points as part of its 18-2 run covering a stretch of 7:16.
- The Buccaneers took their first lead of the game at 14-11 when Fleming connected on a 3-pointer with 12:02 left.
- Charleston Southern would go ahead by eight points, 19-11, with 10:08 remaining on a layup by Jamaal David.
- Upstate answered with a 9-0 run of its own over the next three minutes and took the lead back at 20-19 when Thompkins knocked down a 3-pointer with 7:16 to go.
- With the score tied 23-23, the Buccaneers outscored the Spartans 15-2 over the half's final five minutes to lead 38-25 at intermission.
SECOND HALF BREAKDOWN
- McConico gave Charleston Southern its largest lead of the game during the first minute of the second half as his 3-pointer made the score 41-25.
- Upstate slowly chipped away at the lead over the next eight minutes and got to within four points, 50-46, with 12:37 remaining after Thompkins made his third 3-pointer of the half.
- Thompkins added two more triples leading up to the 8:41 mark with his last putting the Spartans down 55-52.
- Upstate stayed within a three-point margin two more times with the last coming at the 5:47 mark as Moore's 3-pointer cut the Buccaneers' lead down to 61-58.
- The Spartans would only be able to get as close as four points the rest of the way when Cunningham's 3-pointer put the score at 65-61 in favor of Charleston Southern with 4:09 remaining.
- The Buccaneers recorded 11 of their final 17 points at the charity stripe and led 82-70 with six seconds to go.
- Avery Diggs had a tip-in basket as time expired to put the final score at 82-72.
- Upstate remains at home on Monday, Nov. 20 when it hosts Paine College at 7 p.m.
Follow Upstate men's basketball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateMB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).