Charleston, S.C. – The USC Upstate baseball team began its three-game conference series with the Charleston Southern Buccaneers on Friday evening falling 9-0 at CSU Ballpark.
USC Upstate falls to 22-24 on the season and 8-13 in Big South play while Charleston Southern improves to 18-31 overall and 8-14 in the conference.
- Bottom 1st – The Buccaneers struck first for two runs on an RBI single from Max Ryerson and Dante Blakeney's RBI fielder's choice to take a 2-0 lead.
- Bottom 3rd – Charleston Southern extended its lead to 3-0 following an RBI single by Ryerson.
- Bottom 5th – Ryan Stoudemire made it a 4-0 game with his solo home run to right field.
- Bottom 6th – Blakeney led off the bottom of the sixth with a solo homer to right field as the Buccaneers increased their lead out to 5-0.
- Bottom 7th – Charleston Southern plated three runs in its half of the seventh to go ahead 8-0. Blakeney and Kyle Horton both had RBI singles in the inning while Alex Andronica scored on a wild pitch.
- Bottom 8th – Stoudemire pushed the Buccaneers lead to 9-0 with his RBI sacrifice fly to right field.
- Jordan Marks (5-7) took the loss pitching seven innings and gave up eight runs on 12 hits, two walks and four strikeouts.
- Jaret Bennett (3-5) threw a complete game shutout for Charleston Southern and allowed six hits on two walks and three strikeouts.
- Jeff Taylor and Julian Rip both led the Spartans offensively going 2-for-4.
- Andres Kim and Robby McGaha each had one hit.
- Stoudemire finished with a game-high four hits and three runs scored for the Buccaneers.
- Blakeney led all players with three RBI.
- Due to expected inclement weather on Sunday, USC Upstate and Charleston Southern will conclude their series on Saturday with a doubleheader beginning at 12 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate baseball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateBSB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).