Spartanburg, S.C. – The USC Upstate baseball team dropped a 13-6 non-conference decision to the Wofford Terriers on Wednesday evening from Harley Park.
USC Upstate falls to 22-23 on the season and while Wofford improves to 30-20 overall.
- Bottom 2nd – The Spartans struck first for a 1-0 lead after Stone Stephenson scored on a wild pitch.
- Bottom 3rd – J.J. Shimko extended USC Upstate's lead to 2-0 on his RBI sacrifice fly to center field.
- Top 4th – The Terriers tied the game at 2-2 on a two-RBI single to right field by Alec Cargin.
- Bottom 4th – The Spartans answered with a run of their own to take the lead back at 3-2 on an RBI infield single from Davis Wilber.
- Top 5th – Wofford followed with three runs in the fifth and went ahead 5-3. Lawson Hill and John Dempsey each had an RBI single while the third run scored on a USC Upstate throwing error.
- Top 6th – The Terriers extended their lead to 7-3 in the top of the sixth on an RBI double from Reed Massey and Mike Brown's RBI sacrifice fly.
- Top 7th – Wofford added two more runs and took a 9-3 lead highlighted by an RBI double from Cargin. Hill also scored on a wild pitch.
- Bottom 8th – USC Upstate scored once in the eighth when Jason Matthews reached on a Terrier fielding error that brought home Robby McGaha.
- Top 9th – Wofford plated four runs to increase its lead to 13-4 with Massey, Andrew Orzel and Hudson Byorick all collecting RBI's. Orzel added the final run coming home on a wild pitch.
- Bottom 9th – The Spartans crossed home plate twice in the ninth to cut their deficit down to 13-6 following an RBI double from Shimko and McGaha's RBI ground out.
- Jonathan Carlyle (0-1) suffered the loss in relief giving up five runs (four earned) on seven hits, no walks and no strikeouts in 1.2 innings of work.
- Cameron Bloodworth (2-2) earned the win throwing one inning of relief and gave up one run on three hits, no walks and two strikeouts.
- Jake Hershman (2) picked up the save after pitching three innings and allowed three runs (two earned) on three hits, three walks and two strikeouts.
- McGaha and Matthews each recorded a team-high two hits for USC Upstate.
- Shimko had a team-leading two RBI.
- McGaha and Wilber both contributed one RBI.
- Hill, Dempsey and Cargin all had three hits for the Terriers while Cargin recorded a game-high three RBI.
- The Spartans travel to Charleston Southern this weekend for their final conference road series of the season.
Follow USC Upstate baseball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateBSB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).