RADFORD, VA. – The USC Upstate offense was silent for much of the afternoon, producing just one run off six hits in a 3-1 loss to Radford on Saturday.
With the loss the USC Upstate baseball team falls to 14-17 and 3-8 in Big South Conference competition. Radford improves to 15-15 and 8-3 in conference play, the win also snaps a two game losing streak for the Highlanders.
Bottom 2nd: Matt Roth and Colby Higgerson hit back-to-back homeruns to give the Highlanders a 2-0 lead early in the game.
Top 4th: Andres Kim walked to begin the inning and then moved over to second on a single by Julian Rip. Freshman Garett Wallace then roped an RBI single into left field to give the Spartans their first and only run of the game.
Bottom 7th: Spencer Horwitz drew a one out walk to reach base for the Highlanders in the bottom of the seventh. Andrew Szamski and J.D. Mundy hit back-to-back singles to drive in Horwitz and gave Radford a crucial insurance run.
- J.J. Shimko and Davis Wilber both collected a pair of hits in the game to led the USC Upstate offense in the loss.
- Garett Wallace was the only Spartan to collect an RBI in the game.
- Sean Hupp picked up the loss on the mound, despite allowing 2 earned runs over 5.2 innings of work.
- Matt Roth and Andrew Szamski both had a trio of hits to lead the Highlanders offense.
- Game three of the series between USC Upstate and Radford will be at 1:00 p.m. tomorrow afternoon and can be seen on ESPN+.
Follow USC Upstate baseball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateBSB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).