SPARTANBURG, S.C. – USC Upstate sent 11 batters to the plate in the bottom of the fifth inning and the Spartan offense exploded for seven runs, that was all they needed as they costed to a 7-5 victory over High Point University on Sunday afternoon.
USC Upstate improves to 11-14 on the season and 2-4 in Big South Conference play. High Point falls to 8-13 overall on the year and 2-4 in Big South play.
Top 1st: Ryan Russell drew a one-out walk to reach base in the top half of the first inning. Joe Johnson then singled to center field to put a pair of runners on for the Panthers. Daniel Millwee then moved both runners over on a deep fly ball to right field. Travis Holt singled in both runs with a hit to left field.
Top 5th: Conner Dunbar hit a leadoff single to left field and then stole second to move into scoring position for High Point. One batter later Russell hit a screaming line drive up the middle of the infield to score Dunbar from second base.
Bottom 5th: Dario DeSantis leadoff the inning with a single through the left side of the infield. The single was DeSantis' first hit of the season. Stone Pellegrino then walked and the Spartans had the first two batters of the inning. Both DeSantis and Pellegrino advanced 90 feet on a baseball by the High Point catcher. Jason Matthews then dropped a single into shallow left field to score the Spartans first run of the game. Jeff Taylor then reached on a fielder's choice to keep a pair of ducks on the pond for USC Upstate. Andres Kim roped a 2-run double to left center field to tie the game at 3. Robby McGaha reached on an error by the shortstop and Kim came around to score the go-ahead run on a wild pitch. Drake Harris reached on a two out walk and Garett Wallace launched a three-run bomb over the left field fence. The seven run outburst gave the Spartans their largest lead of the weekend at 7-3.
Top 7th: Joe Johnson crushed a one out homerun over the right field wall to give High Point four runs on the afternoon.
Top 8th: J.J. Woodard blasted a one out homerun off the scoreboard in left field to make the game a 7-5 contest.
- Andres Kim led the Spartan offense with a 3-for-4 day at the plate and 2-RBI's in the contest. Kim also scored a run off a wild pitch.
- Garett Wallace led the team in RBI's after a 3-run homer in the bottom of the fifth inning.
- Dario DeSantis and Jason Matthews both had a pair of hits in the ball game. For Matthews he has now reached safely in 14 straight games.
- Will Wheeler picked up his second win of the season, pitching 4.2 innings of relief against the Panthers. Wheeler allowed 2 earned runs off 3 hits and he struck out 5 in the process.
- USC Upstate will be back in action next weekend against Gardner-Webb. First pitch of Friday night's game is scheduled for 6:00 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate baseball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateBSB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).