SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The USC Upstate baseball team lost their second consecutive Big South Series on Saturday afternoon, with a 3-1 loss to High Point at Harley Park.
USC Upstate falls to 10-13 overall on the season and 1-4 in Big South competition. Meanwhile, High Point improves to 8-12 on the year and 2-3 in conference play.
Bottom 1st: Jason Matthews hit a leadoff double to right centerfield and moved over to third on a perfectly placed bunt by Jack Hennessy. Robby McGaha hit a sacrifice fly to right field to score Matthews from third base.
Top 4th: Ryan Russell drilled a one out homerun over the left field wall to tie the game at one run each.
Top 6th: Evan Bergman singled up the middle of the infield on a 3-2 count. Russell reached base on an error by the shortstop and Bergman advanced to second base on the play. Both Bergman and Russell advanced 90 feet on a successful double steal attempt. Bergman scored on a ground out by Joe Johnson.
Top 7th: J.J. Woodard began the inning with his second double of the afternoon and moved over to third on a sacrifice bunt by Trent Harris. Sam Zayicek then singled in Woodard from third base to give the Panthers a two run cushion.
- Stone Pellegrino went 2-for-3 at the plate to lead the Spartans offense, while Robby McGaha produced the Spartans lone run of the afternoon.
- Jason Matthews collected a double in the first inning to keep his on base streak alive and Jack Hennessy collected the only other hit of the afternoon.
- Trey Van Der Weide threw 5.2 innings, 4 hits, 2 runs, 1 earned run and struck out 4 batters on 64 total pitches.
- Sean Hupp pitched 3.1 innings, allowed 2 hits and 1 earned run.
- Harrison Smith picked up the win for the Panthers, throwing a complete game and allowing just 4 hits on the afternoon. Smith allowed one earned run and struck out seven Spartans in the game.
- The Spartans and the Panthers will conclude their three game series tomorrow afternoon at 1:00 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate baseball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateBSB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).