ASHEVILLE, N.C. – On a cool and crisp night at Greenwood Field the USC Upstate offense was red hot as the Spartans smacked UNC Asheville 10-2.
USC Upstate improves to 9-9 on the season, while UNC Asheville falls to 5-12 on the year.
Top 2nd: Julian Rip drove full count pitch into center field for a leadoff double. Drake Harris laid down a perfectly executed sacrifice and moved Rip over to third base. J.J. Shimko then singled through the right side of the infield to bring Rip across the plate for the first score of the game. Shimko then advanced to second on a ground out by Jake Bourke. Robby McGaha then singled through the left side of the infield and brought home the Spartans second run of the inning.
Bottom 2nd: Brandon Lankford doubled down the left field line to begin the second inning of play. A pair of outs later and Jake Madole drove the first pitch he saw over the left field wall to tie the game at 2.
Top 3rd: Andres Kim roped a one out double to left field to put a runner in scoring position for the Spartans. Rip blasted his second double of the afternoon to give the Spartans a pair of runners on the base paths. Harris smoked a ball to shortstop to bring the go ahead run across for the Spartans. J.J. Shimko then walked to put runners on the corner and was then picked off, but not before Rip came around to score and give USC Upstate a 4-2 lead.
Top 4th: Bourke began the inning with a screaming liner up the middle of the infield. McGaha walked on four pitches and Davis Wilber moved the runners over on a sacrifice bunt. Jason Matthews then hit a deep fly ball to left field to score Bourke from third base.
Top 5th: Rip singled through the left side of the field with one out in the inning. Harris then singled through the left side as the Spartans went station-to-station. Shimko then doubled to right center to bring Rip home from third base.
Top 6th: Jason Matthews extended his hitting streak to seven games with a one out single up the middle in the top of the sixth. Jack Hennessy then laid down a sacrifice bunt to move Matthews into scoring position. Kim then blasted a two-run bomb off the scoreboard in left field to give the Spartans an 8-2 lead.
Top 9th: Kim began the inning with a single to right center field. Julian Rip then ripped a homerun over the left field wall to give the Spartans a 10-2 run.
- Rip finished the game going 4-for-5 at the plate with a homerun, 2 RBI's and 4 runs scored. Kim ended the game with a 3-for-5 day at the plate with a homerun, 2 RBI's and a trio of runs scored.
- Harris, Shimko and Bourke all finished with two hits in the ball game. Shimko ended the contest with 2 RBI's.
- Jason Matthews picked up one hit on the night to extend his hitting streak to seven games.
- Jordan Marks picked up his second win of the 2019 season, throwing 7 complete innings and allowed just two earned runs on five hits. The righty also struck out six batters in the contest.
- Ben Ferrer pitched the final two innings of the game on Friday night.
- USC Upstate and UNC Asheville will play the second game of the three game series tomorrow afternoon at 3:00 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate baseball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateBSB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).