SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The USC Upstate baseball team was unable to overcome a four run first inning by Furman on Tuesday evening and lost 7-4 in front of the home town faithful at Harley Park.
The Spartans drop to 8-9 on the season and Furman improves to 4-9 on the year.
Top 1st: David Webel hit a leadoff double down the left field line to begin the game. Banks Griffith then sent a 1-2 pitch back up the middle to score the Paladins first run of the game. After John Michael Boswell reached on a fielder's choice, Sterling Turmon then doubled down the line to put a pair of runners in scoring position. Logan Taplett took the first pitch he saw and drove it over the left field wall for a three run homer. The Paladins took a 4-0 lead into the bottom of the first inning.
Bottom 2nd: With one out and a runner on first, Austin Morgan belted a two-run homerun off the scoreboard in left field. The blast cut Furman's lead in half.
Bottom 3rd: Jason Matthews doubled down the left field line on a full count pitch and then advanced to third on a bunt single by Robby McGaha. Andres Kim hit a sacrifice fly to right field and the Spartans trailed 4-3 heading into the fourth inning of action.
Top 5th: Webel drew a one out walk to reach base in the top of the fifth inning. A failed pickoff attempt by Jonathan Howlett allowed Webel to advance to third base. Griffith hit a sacrifice fly to left field to give the Paladins an insurance run.
Top 6th: Turmon singled up the middle on a 1-0 count to begin the inning. Two batters later, Turmon came around to score on an Anthony Fontana double to left center. With two outs in the inning, Logan Kellerman singled to left center to bring in the Paladins final run of the night.
Bottom 7th: With two outs in the inning Matthews reached first on a full count walk. McGaha then smashed an RBI triple into right center field to bring Matthews in from first.
- Jason Matthews and Robby McGaha ended the night with a pair of hits in the game to lead the Spartans offense. Austin Morgan's two-run homerun in the bottom of the second gave him a team high two RBI's.
- Jonathan Howlett was credited with the loss after he gave up 4 earned runs in 5.0 innings.
- David Webel and Sterling Turmon led the Paladins offense with a pair of hits in the game. Logan Taplett finished the game with a team high 3 RBI's for Furman.
- John Bertrand picked up the victory after throwing 6.0 innings of 5 hit baseball. Bertrand gave up 3 earned runs and struck out two in the outing.
- Jordan Beatson came in for the three inning save and shut the door on USC Upstate.
- USC Upstate will play their first Big South Conference series this weekend with a trip to UNC Asheville.
Follow USC Upstate baseball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateBSB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).