SPARTANBURG, S.C. – For the second consecutive game a ninth inning rally came up short for USC Upstate as they fell 3-1 to Wofford College on Tuesday evening at King Field.
With the loss the Spartans fall to 5-7 and the Terriers improve to 7-5 on the season.
Bottom 3rd: Wofford's Mike Brown doubled down the left field line with one out in the inning. Nolan Hester then reached on an error by Griffin Zito to put a pair of runners on for the Terriers. Colin Davis then loaded up the bases with a slow dribbler down the third base line. Brett Rodriguez hit a sacrifice fly to center field to score the run first run of the game.
Bottom 6th: Brett Rodriguez began the inning with a leadoff walk and advanced to second one batter later after Andrew Orzel was plunked by a pitch. John Dempsey then went down swinging for the second out in the inning. Just when it appeared the Spartans may get out of the inning, Hudson Byorick hit an RBI single to center field. In the next at bat the Terriers had the double steal on and scored their third run of the ball game.
Top 9th: Stone Stephenson hit a one out single through the right side of the infield on a 1-0 count to put a runner on for USC Upstate. After a Harris ground out moved Stephenson over to second the Spartans had just one out to work with in the game. Jack Hennessy then kept the game alive by reaching on error by the shortstop. Jeff Taylor stepped up and delivered a pinch hit single to right field to bring in the Spartans first run of the game. Stone Pellegrino then gave a full count pitch a ride into right field but it fell for the final out of the game.
- Stone Stephenson, Drake Harris, Jack Hennessy, Jeff Taylor and Jason Matthews all had hits in the game for the Spartan offense.
- Kyle Schmitt was hit with the loss after throwing six complete innings. Schmitt gave up two earned runs off four hits in the contest.
- Mike Brown finished the game 2-for-3 at the plate for the Terriers to lead the offense.
- David Yourke earned the win after tossing four shutout innings against the Spartans.
- The Spartans begin a three game series with Rutgers this weekend at Harley Park.
Follow USC Upstate baseball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateBSB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).