SPARTANBURG, S.C. - Drake Harris slapped a 1-1 pitch down the right field line to drive Griffin Zito in from third base to give the Spartans a 3-2 victory over Ohio in 12 innings on Friday night at Harley Park.
With the win the Spartans have now won two consecutive games and hold a 4-5 overall record. Ohio falls to 1-7 after the loss on Friday night.
Bottom 2nd: Jake Bourke hit a one out single up the middle to keep the inning alive for the Spartans. Garett Wallace then reached on an error by the shortstop and Jack Hennessy singled to left field to load up the bases. A single to right field by Davis Wilber brought the first run of the game in and Jason Matthews hit a sacrifice fly to center field to give the Spartans a 2-0 advantage.
Top 5th: Zyon Avery hit a leadoff single to center field to begin the top half of the inning. Aaron Levy then drew a full count walk to put runners on first and second with no outs. Dan McCauley then laid down a sacrifice bunt to move the runners into scoring position. Ryan Sargent then hit a sacrifice fly into center field and drove in the Bobcats first run of the game.
Top 6th: Treyben Funderburg reached on error by Garett Wallace to being the inning. Jack Longo then moved Funderburg over to second on a sacrifice bunt. Funderburg advanced to third on a passed ball by Davis Wilber. A second Wallace error allowed Funderburg to score from third base and tied the game up at 2-2.
Bottom 12th: Griffin Zito doubled down the left line with one out in the inning to give the Spartans a runner in scoring position. Hunter Hice was then intentionally walked to set up the double play, but Julian Rip drew a walk in the next at bat to load up the bases for the Spartans. That set the stage as Drake Harris slapped a 1-1 pitch into right field to win the game for USC Upstate.
- Jack Hennessy led the Spartans with a trio of hits in the ball game. Jake Bourke finished second on the team with two hits in the contest.
- Drake Harris, Griffin Zito, Davis Wilber, Garett Wallace and Jason Matthews all registered hits in the victory for the Spartans.
- The USC Upstate pitching staff combined to strike out 10 batters in the contest and allowed just two hits in the 12 inning game. The Spartans bullpen did not allow a hit after the eighth inning of action.
- Jordan Marks threw seven innings of one hit baseball and gave up just one earned run in the process. Marks also had a team high five strikeouts on Friday night.
- Will Wheeler earned his first victory of the season after throwing an inning of no-hit baseball. Prior to Wheeler entering the game Kyle Schmitt threw three scoreless innings and Grant Hoppock contributed an inning of scoreless work.
- USC Upstate and Ohio will conclude the series tomorrow afternoon with a double header beginning at 2 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate baseball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateBSB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).