DAVIDSON, N.C. – For the first time all season the USC Upstate baseball team left the friendly confines of Harley Park and ventured over to Davidson College, the Spartans came away with 9-7 victory over the Wildcats to snap a three game losing skid.
With the victory USC Upstate improves to 3-5 overall on the season, while Davidson drops to 4-2 on the year.
Top 1st: Griffin Zito lead off the game with a single to left field and moved to second base on a sacrifice bunt from Andres Kim. Robby McGaha then hit an RBI single to right field to score Zito from second base.
Bottom 1st: With two outs and runners on second and third the Wildcats looked to strike back against the Spartans. Justin Lebek drove in a pair of runs with a crack of the bat and a single into left field. Matt Frey hit an RBI single to bring Lebek in and give the Wildcats a 3-1 advantage.
Top 2nd: The lead did not last however for Davidson. Julian Rip and Austin Morgan both reached on walks to begin the inning. Jack Hennessy executed a sacrifice bunt to move both players into scoring position. With two outs in the inning Zito hit a two-RBI single into right field to tie the game up at three.
Bottom 2nd: Defensively it was a very sloppy inning for the Spartans as the USC Upstate defense committed three errors in the inning. The trio of miscues cost the Spartans a run and gave Davidson a 4-3 edge heading into the third inning of action.
Top 3rd: For the second consecutive the Wildcats walked the first two Spartans of the inning. Rip sacrificed himself and moved both McGaha and Stone Pellegrino into scoring position. With two-away in the inning Morgan came through with a two-RBI knock to give the Spartans the lead back at 5-4.
Bottom 5th: Spartans relief pitcher Ben Ferrer had a rough start to his outing, giving up a single and a double to the first two batters he faced. Davidson took advantage and had two runs score off three hits.
Bottom 6th: Ruben Fontes homered to right field to lead-off the sixth inning. The solo shot gave the Wildcats a 7-5 cushion in the scoring column.
Top 7th: Hunter Hice checked into the game for the Spartans and hit a lead-off single into left field. McGaha followed suit with his own single to left field. One batter later and Jake Bourke loaded up the bases with a single to right field. The Spartans scored all three runners on back-to-back miscues by the Davidson middle infield.
Top 8th: The Spartans were looking to add an insurance run entering the eighth inning up 8-7. Zito walked to begin the inning and then stole second with one out in the eighth. Zito came around to score on another error by a Davidson infielder.
- The win gives the Spartans their first road victory of the season and their first midweek win of the year.
- USC Upstate and Davidson combined for 9 errors in Wednesday night's game.
- The Spartans are now 3-0 this season when leading after seven innings. USC Upstate has also outscored opponents 11-0 in the seventh inning of action.
- USC Upstate is now 3-1 on the season when scoring in the first inning.
- Griffin Zito went 2-for-3 at the plate with a pair of runs and a pair of RBI's. Austin Morgan finished the game with a pair of RBI's and a run scored after collecting a hit in three at-bats.
- Robby McGaha finished the game going 2-for-4 at the plate with a pair of runs and an RBI.
- Ben Ferrer earned his first collegiate career on Wednesday evening and Sean Hupp picked-up his second save of the year.
- The Spartans return to Harley Park this weekend for a three-game series against Ohio University.
Follow USC Upstate baseball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateBSB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).