Spartanburg, S.C. – Trailing 7-1 after four innings, the USC Upstate baseball team outscored Wofford 11-1 over the next four frames as the Spartans rallied for a 12-10 victory over Wofford at Harley Park on Wednesday night.
USC Upstate improves to 23-24-1 overall while Wofford drops to 31-19.
- Top 1st – Brett Rodriguez led off the game with a double and scored on an error.
- Bottom 1st – Kyle Gensler's two-out double down the left field line tied the game at 1.
- Top 2nd – Colin Davis reached on a one-out single and scored on a single by Alec Cargin.
- Top 3rd – Davis hit a three-run home run for a 5-1 Terrier advantage.
- Top 4th – McClain Bradley drove in a run with a triple and scored on an error for a 7-1 Wofford lead.
- Bottom 5th – Mason Stewart opened the inning with a single and scored on a Kyle Gensler single. Toran Shahidi followed with a double, scoring Charlie Carpenter.
- Top 6th – Mack Nathanson led off the inning with a double and scored on a Lawson Hill single.
- Bottom 6th – Pat Raiff worked a leadoff walk and scored on a Will Hardigree double.
- Bottom 7th – USC Upstate sent 10 men to the plate in the inning, scoring six runs on five hits. Carpenter was hit by a pitch to start the inning and advanced to second thanks to a passed ball. After a Gensler single, Shahidi hit his second double of the game to bring the Spartans within two, 8-6. Shahidi scored on a fielder's choice before the Spartans tied the game on a Jake Bourke single. Austin Morgan gave USC Upstate its first lead of the game, 9-8, on a single with two outs. Bourke scored the final run of the inning on a wild pitch for a 10-8 Spartan lead.
- Bottom 8th – Gensler opened the inning with a double and scored on a Shahidi triple. Shahidi scored the final run of the game for the Spartans on a Russell Schwertfeger single.
- Top 9th – Max McDougald led off the inning with a single and was lifted for pinch-runner Reed Massey. Alex Malsch followed with a single before Massey and Malsch scored on a Nathanson double with one out. Following a strikeout and an intentional walk that loaded the bases, Hill grounded out to end the game.
- Gensler collected a career-best four hits as he went 4-for-5 with two doubles, two singles, two runs scored and two RBI.
- Shahidi went 3-for-5 with two doubles, a triple, two runs scored and four RBI.
- Bourke, Schwertfeger and Andres Kim each had two hits.
- Every USC Upstate batter recorded at least one hit as the Spartans recorded a season-best 18 hits.
- Bradley and Cargin each had three hits to lead Wofford.
- Wofford left 13 runners on base while USC Upstate stranded nine baserunners.
- Will Wheeler (2-1) earned the win, allowing two runs on three hits with a walk and a strikeout in 2.1 innings of work.
- Grant Hoppock (1) earned the save, recorded the final two outs.
- Anthony Garcia (3-1) took the loss, allowing three runs on two hits with a walk in 0.1 innings.
- USC Upstate hosts Jacksonville on Friday at 6 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate baseball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateBSB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).