Nashville, Tenn. – A late rally by USC Upstate fell short as the Spartans dropped the opener of an ASUN Conference series to Lipscomb 5-2 at Ken Dugan Field on Friday night.
Lipscomb improves to 17-23 overall and 5-8 in the league while USC Upstate drops to 21-23-1 and 4-9.
- Bottom 1st – Maddux Houghton reached on a one-out walk and advanced to third on a two-out Zeke Dodson single. Houghton scored on a Jake Perry single.
- Bottom 3rd – Dodson reached on a one-out single and advanced to second on a walk. Dodson scored on a Cade Sorrells single.
- Bottom 4th – Lee Solomon scored on a wild pitch.
- Bottom 5th – Chandler Chambers hit a solo home run.
- Top 7th – Andres Kim was hit by a pitch and scored on a Mason Stewart single. The Spartans loaded the bases with two outs before a flyout ended the inning.
- Bottom 8th – Solomon led off the inning with a home run.
- Top 9th – Will Hardigree hit his first collegiate home run, a solo blast, with one out.
- Hardigree went 3-for-4 with two singles, a home run and an RBI. Tonight was his sixth multi-hit game of the season.
- Stewart went 1-for-4 with a single and an RBI.
- Pat Raiff finished 1-for-3 with a double.
- Kyle Gensler went 1-for-4 with a single.
- Dodson went 2-for-3 with two singles and a run scored to lead the Lipscomb offense.
- Solomon and Chambers each went 1-for-4 with a home run.
- Lipscomb stranded 11 baserunners while USC Upstate left eight on base.
- The teams combined for four errors, with three of those charged to USC Upstate.
- Joshua Colon (2-2) earned the win, allowing two runs, one earned, on six hits with two walks and 10 strikeouts as he went the distance.
- Kevin Hickey (2-3) took the loss, allowing four runs, three earned, on seven hits with five walks and two strikeouts in 4.2 innings.
- Grant Hoppock pitched 2.1 innings of scoreless relief.
- USC Upstate and Lipscomb continue their series tomorrow night at 7 p.m. Eastern.
Follow USC Upstate baseball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateBSB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).