Spartanburg, S.C. – Alex Brait's two-run single with two outs in the seventh inning broke a 1-1 tie as Florida Gulf Coast defeated USC Upstate 3-2 on Sunday afternoon in the rubber match of an ASUN Conference series.
Florida Gulf Coast improves to 27-11 overall and 5-4 in league play while USC Upstate drops to 21-22-1 and 4-8.
- Top 6th – Kohl Gilmore reached on a one-out walk and scored on an Eli Lovell double to get the Eagles on the board.
- Bottom 6th – Chris Rodriguez reached on a leadoff walk and advanced to second on a wild pitch. Rodriguez moved to third on a Toran Shahidi single before a sacrifice bunt moved Shahidi to second. After Charlie Carpenter was intentionally walked to load the bases, Jake Bourke singled to right field to tie the game. Florida Gulf Coast turned a double play to end the inning.
- Top 7th – Gage Morey reached on a one-out walk and advanced to second on a walk to Christian Profitt. After a popout and a wild pitch moved the runners into scoring position, Brait singled to right-center to score Morey and Profitt.
- Bottom 9th – Austin Morgan reached on a one-out single and scored on a Kyle Gensler pinch-hit triple. A strikeout and a groundout ended the game.
- Gensler went 1-for-1 with a triple and an RBI.
- Pat Raiff went 2-for-3 with two singles.
- Bourke went 1-for-4 with a single and RBI.
- Shahidi, Morgan and Mason Stewart each had a single.
- Brait went 2-for-4 with two singles and two RBI to lead Florida Gulf Coast.
- Jay Hayes went 2-for-4 with two singles.
- Lovell went 1-for-4 with a double and an RBI.
- Each team finished with seven hits.
- USC Upstate stranded eight baserunners while Florida Gulf Coast left seven runners on base.
- Justin Gill (1-0) earned the win, allowing one run on three hits with four walks and four strikeouts in 6.0 innings.
- Kenton Herring (6) earned the save, allowing one run on three hits with three strikeouts in 2.0 innings.
- Blake Whitney (4-1) took the loss, allowing three runs on six hits with five walks and five strikeouts in 6.2 innings.
- USC Upstate travels to Lipscomb next weekend for an ASUN series beginning at 7 p.m. Eastern on Friday.
Follow USC Upstate baseball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateBSB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).