Rock Hill, S.C. – USC Upstate used a five-run second inning to take control and never looked back in a 7-1 win over Winthrop in non-conference action on Wednesday evening at The Winthrop Ballpark.
USC Upstate improves to 20-20-1 overall while Winthrop drops to 17-22.
- Top 2nd – Kyle Gensler led off the inning with a triple and scored on an Andres Kim single. Kim and Russell Schwertfeger scored on a bases-loaded single by Chris Rodriguez. Austin Morgan would score on a Toran Shahidi single, with Rodriguez coming home on a Pat Raiff single for a 5-0 USC Upstate lead.
- Bottom 3rd – Jake Sullivan got the Eagles on the board with a two-out double.
- Top 4th – Shahidi reached on a two-out double and scored on a single by Raiff. Shahidi made an acrobatic slide to beat the throw home.
- Top 7th – Schwertfeger reached on a two-out single, stole second, and scored on a Mason Stewart single. Stewart was thrown out trying to advance to second after the run scored.
- Tonight's win by the Spartans was the first time that the road team has won a game in the all-time series. The home team had won the previous five matchups.
- Schwertfeger went 3-for-4 with two singles, a double and two runs scored.
- Raiff went 3-for-5 with three singles and two RBI.
- Shahidi and Kim each had two hits and an RBI.
- The Spartans finished with 14 hits and had eight of nine batters record a hit.
- Hunter Lipscomb went 2-for-3 to lead the Eagles.
- Will Hardigree (1-1) earned the win, allowing one run on four hits with one walk and four strikeouts.
- Caleb Matthews and Sean Hupp combined for four innings of scoreless relief.
- Colten Rendon (4-4) took the loss, allowing five runs on six hits with one walk in 1.1 innings.
- USC Upstate hosts Florida Gulf Coast on Friday at 6 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate baseball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateBSB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).