Newark, N.J. – The USC Upstate baseball team swept a doubleheader against NJIT on Saturday, claiming the opener 9-7 thanks to a pair of ninth inning runs followed by a 9-1 victory in the nightcap at Bears & Eagles Riverfront Stadium.
USC Upstate improves to 18-20-1 overall and 3-6 in the ASUN Conference while NJIT drops to 14-14 and 3-6.
Game One: USC Upstate 9, NJIT 7
- Top 2nd – Chris Rodriguez reached on a one-out walk, stole second and scored on a two-out Toran Shahidi single.
- Bottom 2nd – NJIT tied the game on a Tom Brady single.
- Top 3rd – Charlie Carpenter was hit by a pitch, advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt and scored on a Russell Schwertfeger double. Will Hardigree drove in two runs with a single followed by a Shahidi base hit that gave the Spartans a 5-1 lead.
- Bottom 4th – NJIT plated runs on singles by Justin Etts and Evan Pietronico to slice the USC Upstate lead to 5-3.
- Bottom 5th – The Highlanders plated a run thanks to a sacrifice fly.
- Bottom 6th – Paul Franzoni reached on a one-out single and advanced to second on a two-out walk to Evan Pietronico. Franzoni scored on a USC Upstate error to tie the game with Pietronico giving the Highlanders a 6-5 lead thanks to a Julio Marcano single.
- Top 7th – Andres Kim led off the inning with a triple and scored on a sacrifice fly.
- Bottom 7th – The Highlanders took a 7-6 lead on a bases-loaded walk.
- Top 8th – Shahidi worked a one-out walk and scored on a Carpenter single.
- Top 9th – Shahidi scored the go-ahead run on an error. The Spartans added an insurance run on a fielder's choice.
- Shahidi went 3-for-4 with three singles, a run scored and two RBI.
- Kim went 2-for-3 with a single, triple and two runs scored.
- Raiff went 2-for-6 with two singles and an RBI.
- Schwertfeger went 1-for-3 with a double, two runs scored and two RBI.
- Marcano went 3-for-5 with two singles and a double to lead the NJIT offense.
- NJIT left 15 runners on base while USC Upstate left 12.
- Sean Hupp (2-1) earned the win as he allowed one hit with three walks and two strikeouts in 3.0 scoreless innings.
- Brent Jones (0-1) took the loss as he allowed two unearned runs with a hit, two walks and a strikeout in 0.1 innings.
Game Two: USC Upstate 9, NJIT 1
- Top 3rd – Jake Bourke's single scored Pat Raiff for a 1-0 USC Upstate lead.
- Top 4th – The Spartans scored runs on an NJIT error and a Toran Shahidi single.
- Bottom 4th – NJIT got on the board thanks to a Jesse Uttendorfer double.
- Top 5th – A sacrifice fly from Chris Rodriguez brought home Russell Schwertfeger.
- Top 6th – Bourke's second RBI single of the day followed by a sacrifice fly gave the Spartans a 6-1 lead.
- Top 8th – Rodriguez's two-run single brought home Schwertfeger and Bourke.
- Top 9th – Raiff scored on a wild pitch.
- The Spartans tied a season-high with 15 hits.
- Schwertfeger went 3-for-4 with three singles, two runs scored and an RBI.
- Raiff went 2-for-5 with two singles and three runs scored.
- Bourke went 2-for-5 with two singles, a run scored and a RBI.
- Kim went 2-for-5 with two singles and a run scored.
- Rodriguez went 1-for-3 with a single, run scored and three RBI.
- Uttendorfer went 2-for-4 with a single, double and RBI.
- Blake Whitney (4-0) earned the win, allowing one run on six hits with eight strikeouts in 7.0 innings.
- Tyler Stafflinger (3-2) took the loss, allowing three runs, two earned, on seven hits with a walk and three strikeouts in 4.0 innings.
- USC Upstate hosts North Carolina A&T on Tuesday at 6 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate baseball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateBSB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).