Newark, N.J. – The NJIT Highlanders used a three-run fourth inning to break a 2-2 tie as they defeated USC Upstate 7-3 at Bears & Eagles Riverfront Stadium on Friday evening.
NJIT improves to 14-12 overall and 3-4 in the ASUN Conference while USC Upstate drops to 16-20-1 and 1-6.
- Top 1st – Pat Raiff reached on a one-out single, advanced to second on a groundout and scored on a Kyle Gensler two-out single.
- Bottom 1st – Justin Etts led off the inning with a double and scored on a Julio Marcano two-out single. The Highlanders took a 2-1 lead as Marcano scored on a Jesse Uttendorfer double.
- Top 2nd – Mason Stewart worked a walk to open the frame and reached second on a passed ball. A groundout advanced Stewart to third base before he scored the second USC Upstate run of the game as a result of an NJIT error.
- Bottom 4th – Evan Pietronico brought home two runs with a two-out double before scoring on a Michael Anastasia double for a 5-2 NJIT lead.
- Bottom 5th – Uttendorfer led off with a triple and scored on a wild pitch.
- Top 8th – Gensler scored on a sacrifice fly.
- Bottom 8th – Etts opened the inning with a single and scored on a Marcano double.
- Gensler went 3-for-3 with three singles and an RBI.
- Jake Bourke went 2-for-4 with two singles.
- Etts and Marcano led NJIT with three hits each.
- Jared Kacso (2-3) earned the win as he allowed two runs, one earned, on six hits in 4.0 innings.
- Kevin Hickey (2-2) took the loss as he allowed five runs on 10 hits in 5.0 innings.
- NJIT and USC Upstate conclude their series tomorrow with a doubleheader at 1 pm.
Follow USC Upstate baseball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateBSB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).