Jacksonville, Fla. – The North Florida Ospreys completed a series sweep of USC Upstate on Sunday as they claimed a 13-6 win in a suspended game from Saturday followed by a 3-2 win in the series finale.
North Florida improves to 17-15 overall and 4-2 in the ASUN Conference while USC Upstate drops to 15-18-1 and 1-5.
Saturday's Game: North Florida 13, USC Upstate 6
- Bottom 1st – North Florida scored five runs in the inning. A two-run single by Blake Voyles got the Ospreys on the board, with another run scoring as a result of a USC Upstate error. Jay Prather drove in two runs with a double for a 5-0 lead.
- Bottom 2nd – Tanner Murphy hit a two-run home run with one out.
- Top 3rd – Pat Raiff reached on an error with two outs and advanced to second after Charlie Carpenter was hit by a pitch. Raiff scored on a Kyle Gensler single, with Carpenter coming home on a Jake Bourke single.
- Bottom 3rd – North Florida added a run on a groundout.
- Bottom 4th – The Ospreys scored one run on a bases-loaded walk before two runs scored on a Prather single. Raff Libunao brought home the final run of the inning on a double.
- Top 8th – Gensler led off the inning with a walk and scored on an Austin Morgan single.
- Bottom 8th – Murphy reached on a leadoff single and scored on a single by Alex Reynolds.
- Top 9th – Mason Stewart reached on a leadoff walk and scored on a Raiff single. The Spartans scored a run on a groundout followed by a Bourke infield single.
- Russell Schwertfeger went 4-for-5 with four singles to lead the Spartan offense.
- Raiff finished 3-for-5 with three singles, two runs scored and an RBI.
- Gensler went 2-for-4 with two singles, a run scored and two RBI.
- Bourke went 2-for-5 with two singles, a run scored and two RBI.
- Morgan went 1-for-5 with a single and RBI.
- Prather went 3-for-5 with two singles, a double and four RBI to lead North Florida.
- Ethan Michaelis (1-3) earned the win, allowing four runs, three earned, on six hits with three walks and two strikeouts in 4.1 innings.
- Jordan Marks (1-4) took the loss as he gave up eight runs, five earned, on eight hits with two walks and a strikeout in 3.0 innings.
Sunday's Game: North Florida 3, USC Upstate 2
- Bottom 1st – North Florida scored two runs on a Mac Wilson single.
- Top 6th – Chris Rodriguez led off the inning with a single and scored on a Charlie Carpenter two-run home run.
- Bottom 6th – Alex Gonzalez hit a two-out single and scored the go-ahead run on a Rey Gonzalez double.
- Carpenter went 1-for-3 with a home run, run scored and two RBI.
- Rodriguez, Jake Bourke and Will Hardigree each had a single.
- Dalton Board and Tanner Murphy each had two hits to lead North Florida.
- Austin Drury (3-1) earned the win, allowing two runs on four hits with five strikeouts in 6.1 innings.
- Brad Deppermann (3) earned his third save of the season and second of the weekend as he induced a game-ending double play.
- Trey Van Der Weide (2-5) took the loss, allowing one run on three hits in 2.0 innings.
- USC Upstate travels to UNC Asheville on Tuesday at 6 p.m.
Follow USC Upstate baseball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateBSB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).