Spartanburg, S.C. – USC Upstate senior pitcher Blake Whitney struck out a career-high 12 batters but Dayton scored four runs in the ninth inning for a 6-5 win over the Spartans on Friday night at Harley Park.
Dayton improves to 6-11 while USC Upstate drops to 11-11-1.
- Bottom 3rd – Andres Kim led off the inning with a single, advanced to second on an error and reached third on a wild pitch. Kim scored on a groundout. The Spartans loaded the bases thanks to a pair of hit batters and a walk before Russell Schwertfeger drove in two runs with a double.
- Bottom 6th – Kim was hit by a pitch and advanced to second on a wild pitch. After a Pat Raiff single moved Kim to third, Charlie Carpenter's single brought Kim home for a 4-0 USC Upstate lead.
- Top 8th – The Flyers scored two runs on a Pat Meehan single.
- Bottom 8th – Mason Stewart opened the inning with a walk and advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt. Following a wild pitch that moved Stewart to third, a Kyle Gensler infield single scored Stewart.
- Top 9th – After a strikeout opened the inning, pinch hitter Jeff Steuck was hit by a pitch. After Takahiro Yamada singled and advanced pinch runner Connor Wilson to second, Wilson and Yamada scored on a Connor Echols triple. Echols scored the tying run on a Michael Cleary bunt single. Cleary advanced to third on a Brantley Johnson single before scoring the go-ahead run on a groundout.
- Whitney struck out a career-high 12 batters while allowing two runs, one earned, on four hits with two walks in 8.0 innings.
- Jonathan Brus (1-0) earned the win as he recorded the final out of the eighth inning.
- Josh Nixon (2) recorded the save with a scoreless ninth.
- Sean Hupp (1-1) was charged with the loss after he allowed four runs on four hits with a strikeout in 1.0 innings.
- Kim went 2-for-2 with two singles and two runs scored.
- Schwertfeger went 1-for-4 with a double and two RBI.
- Raiff, Carpenter, Gensler and Austin Morgan each had a single.
- Echols and Meehan each had two hits to lead Dayton.
- USC Upstate left 12 runners on base while Dayton stranded four baserunners.
- The teams combined to hit seven batters.
- USC Upstate and Dayton continue their series on Saturday at 2 p.m.
Follow Upstate baseball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateBSB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).