Spartanburg, S.C. – A quartet of USC Upstate pitchers combined to limit Longwood to four hits as the Spartans recorded their first shutout of the season with a 2-0 win over the Lancers on Saturday afternoon at Harley Park.
USC Upstate improves to 5-5-1 while Longwood drops to 2-7.
- Bottom 6th – Mason Stewart reached on a walk with one out and advanced to third on an Austin Morgan single. Following a strikeout, Andres Kim laced a ball into right-center field to plate Stewart. Charlie Carpenter's infield single brought home Morgan.
- Grant Hoppock (1-1) earned the win as he threw 1.1 scoreless innings. Hoppock inherited runners on the corners with two outs in the sixth but he got out of the inning unscathed thanks to a flyout.
- Sean Hupp (2) recorded his second save of the year with three strikeouts in 1.2 innings. Hupp worked out of a bases-loaded jam with one out in the eighth thanks to a strikeout and flyout.
- Kevin Hickey struck out three batters while allowing three hits in 5.2 innings.
- Cody Boydstun (0-2) took the loss after he surrendered two runs on nine hits with a walk and six strikeouts in 5.2 innings.
- Carpenter went 3-for-3 with three singles and an RBI.
- Morgan went 2-for-3 with two singles and a run scored.
- Kim went 1-for-4 with a single and RBI.
- Pat Raiff, Russell Schwertfeger, Will Hardigree and Kyle Gensler each had one hit.
- Nathan Iskowitz had a pinch-hit double for Longwood's only extra-base hit of the game. Sammy Miller, Joey Mendez and Eli Mercado each had a single.
- USC Upstate left a season-high 14 runners on base. The Spartans left the bases loaded in the sixth and eighth innings.
- Longwood left seven runners on base.
- USC Upstate goes for the series sweep of Longwood on Sunday at 1 p.m.
Follow Upstate baseball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateBSB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).