Spartanburg, S.C. – USC Upstate had three innings of three or more runs as the Spartans scored a season-high 14 runs in a 14-2 non-conference win over Longwood on Friday afternoon at Harley Park.
USC Upstate improves to 4-5-1 while Longwood drops to 2-6.
- Top 4th - Jawan McAllister drove in a pair of runs on a single with two outs to give the Lancers a 2-0 lead.
- Bottom 4th – USC Upstate got on the board on a bases-loaded walk.
- Bottom 5th – Chris Rodriguez reached on an infield single to open the inning and advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt. Rodriguez tied the game on a Charlie Carpenter double, with Carpenter scoring as a result of a Russell Schwertfeger single. Schwertfeger scored the final run of the inning on a Kyle Gensler infield hit.
- Bottom 6th – USC Upstate plated six runs on three hits. A Carpenter single brought home USC Upstate's fifth run of the game, with runs following on a bases-loaded walk and a sacrifice fly. Carpenter would score on a Gensler hit, with two more runs scoring on a bases-loaded walk and a wild pitch.
- Bottom 8th – Mason Stewart reached on a double with one out and scored on a Rodriguez double. Drake Harris scored on a wild pitch, with Rodriguez scoring on a groundout. Pat Raiff scored USC Upstate's final run of the game on an error.
- The 14 runs scored and 15 hits were new season-highs for the Spartans.
- Carpenter went 5-for-5 with three singles, two doubles, three runs scored and two RBI. Carpenter's five hits match a career-high.
- Rodriguez finished with a career-high three hits as he went 3-for-5 with two singles, a double, three runs scored and an RBI.
- Gensler also recorded a career-high three hits as he finished 3-for-5 with three singles, two RBI and a run scored.
- Schwertfeger, Stewart, Raiff and Jake Bourke each had one hit.
- Sammy Miller finished 2-for-4 with two singles to lead the Lancers.
- Blake Whitney improved to 2-0 as he allowed two unearned runs on six hits with a walk and eight strikeouts in 6.0 innings.
- Steven Farkas (0-3) took the loss after he surrendered four runs (three earned) on eight hits with two walks and eight strikeouts in 4.2 innings.
- USC Upstate and Longwood continue their series on Saturday at 2 p.m.
Follow Upstate baseball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateBSB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).