Clinton, S.C. – An unearned run in the seventh inning broke a 2-2 tie as Presbyterian College defeated USC Upstate 3-2 in non-conference action on Tuesday afternoon at the PC Baseball Complex.
Presbyterian College improves to 4-6 while USC Upstate drops to 3-5-1.
- Top 4th – Russell Schwertfeger led off the inning with his first home run of the season. Will Hardigree followed Schwertfeger with a single and advanced to second on a wild pitch. Austin Morgan reached on a fielder's choice with Hardigree reaching third on the play and scoring on an error to give the Spartans a 2-0 lead.
- Bottom 4th – Jack McLaughlin was hit by a pitch to start the inning and scored on A.J. Priaulx's two-run home run.
- Bottom 7th – Guy Casacelli reached on a leadoff double. Casacelli advanced to third and scored as a result of an error on a sacrifice bunt attempt.
- Mason Stewart went 2-for-4 with two singles.
- Schwertfeger went 1-for-4 with a home run, RBI and run scored.
- Pat Raiff finished 1-for-4 with a double.
- Hardigree, Andres Kim, Charlie Carpenter and Zachary Lea each had a single.
- Lea's base hit was the first of his collegiate career.
- Jonathan White went 2-for-3 with a pair of singles to lead the Blue Hose offense.
- USC Upstate outhit Presbyterian College 8-7.
- The Spartans left eight runners on base while the Blue Hose stranded six.
- Eric Miles (2-1) earned the win with a scoreless inning of relief.
- Ryan Hedrick (1) recorded the save, striking out two batters in 1.0 innings.
- Grant Hoppock (0-1) took the loss, allowing an unearned run on one hit with four strikeouts in 2.1 innings.
- USC Upstate hosts North Carolina A&T on Wednesday at 4 p.m.
Follow Upstate baseball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateBSB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).