Spartanburg, S.C. – A five-run first inning got USC Upstate off to a fast start as the Spartans defeated Winthrop 9-5 in a non-conference game at Harley Park on Tuesday afternoon.
USC Upstate improves to 2-2-1 while Winthrop drops to 0-4.
- Bottom 1st – Andres Kim reached on a Winthrop error with a walk and a Charlie Carpenter single loading the bases. Kim scored on a Russell Schwertfeger infield single while another run scored due to a throwing error on the play. Following a groundout, Devon Ortiz hit a three-run home run in his first at-bat of the season to give the Spartans a 5-0 lead.
- Top 4th – Hunter Lipscomb reached on a leadoff single and scored on a Dillon Morton triple. Morton scored on a Matthew Mulkey double, with Mulkey scoring on a groundout.
- Bottom 4th – Austin Morgan led off the inning with a triple and scored on a Carpenter single.
- Top 5th – Jake Sullivan led off the inning with a single and advanced to third on a Mitch Spires base hit. Sullivan scored on a sacrifice fly.
- Top 6th – Mulkey was hit by a pitch to start the inning, stole second, advanced to third on a flyout and scored on a sacrifice fly.
- Bottom 6th – Pat Raiff opened the inning with a single and advanced to second on a Schwertfeger base hit with one out. After a wild pitch moved the runners up a base, Raiff scored on a Will Hardigree single. Schwertfeger would later score on a Kyle Gensler single.
- Bottom 8th – The Spartans added an insurance run on a Gensler two-out double that plated Schwertfeger.
- Gensler went 2-for-4 with a single, double, two runs scored and two RBI.
- Schwertfeger went 2-for-5 with two singles, three runs scored and an RBI.
- Ortiz finished 2-for-5 with a single, home run and three RBI.
- Morton and Scout McFalls each had two hits to lead Winthrop.
- USC Upstate outhit Winthrop 11-9.
- Sean Hupp (1-0) earned the win, allowing two runs on four hits with a walk and four strikeouts in 5.0 innings of relief. Hupp didn't allow a run in his final three innings.
- Jacob Thiessen allowed three runs on five hits with two walks and a strikeout in 4.0 innings.
- Daniel Willcutt (0-1) took the loss after he surrendered six runs, two earned, on six hits with three walks and four strikeouts.
- USC Upstate will play three teams in three days this weekend. The Spartans host Seton Hall at 4 p.m. Friday followed by a matchup against Pittsburgh on Saturday at 4 p.m. A visit from Xavier at 1 p.m. on Sunday rounds out the weekend.
Follow USC Upstate baseball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateBSB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).