Spartanburg, S.C. – USC Upstate head coach Matt Fincher recorded his 450th career win on Friday as USC Upstate defeated NJIT 11-3 on Senior Day at Harley Park.
Upstate improves to 23-31 overall and 6-14 in the ASUN Conference while NJIT drops to 9-39 overall and 2-18.
- Bottom 1st – Devon Ortiz led off the game with a double and reached second on a Pat Raiff walk. Ortiz and Raiff advanced 90 feet on a wild pitch and scored on a Charlie Carpenter ground-rule double. Carpenter scored on a groundout for a 3-0 Upstate advantage.
- Bottom 2nd – Brett Hawkins led off with a double, advanced to third on a flyout and scored on an Ortiz single.
- Bottom 3rd – Carpenter hit his ninth home run of the season to give the Spartans a 5-0 lead.
- Top 4th – Justin Etts reached on an error and scored on a single by Evan Pietronico.
- Bottom 4th – Ortiz reached on a two-out double and scored on a Raiff single.
- Bottom 6th – Ortiz reached on a single with one out and scored on a Carpenter single. The Spartans added a run on a fielder's choice with two more runs scoring on a Hawkins single.
- Bottom 7th – Dylan Wilkinson opened the inning with a single and scored on a Carpenter sacrifice fly.
- Top 9th – NJIT scored a run thanks to an Upstate error and another run on a Tom Brady single.
- Carpenter finished a triple short of the cycle as he went 4-for-4 with three runs scored and five RBI.
- Ortiz went 4-for-6 with two singles, two doubles, three runs scored and an RBI.
- Raiff went 2-for-3 with two singles, two runs scored and an RBI.
- Hawkins went 2-for-5 with a single, double, run scored and two RBI.
- Bourke went 2-for-4 with two singles and an RBI.
- Brady and Jesse Uttendorfer each had three hits for NIIT.
- NJIT left 14 runners on base while Upstate stranded 11 baserunners.
- Kevin Hickey (4-7) earned the win, allowing one unearned run on five hits with three walks and two strikeouts in 5.0 innings.
- Sean Hupp (1) earned the save, allowing two unearned runs on six hits with a walk and two strikeouts in 4.0 innings.
- Jared Kacso (0-1) took the loss, allowing five runs on five hits with a walk in 2.0 innings.
- The 23 wins and six ASUN wins surpass the overall win total and ASUN win total from the 2016 season.
- Prior to the game, Upstate honored Eric Birklund, Brian Boocock, Hunter Gilbert, Bryan Hathaway, Jordan Miller and Sam Rogers as part of Senior Day festivities.
- Upstate wraps up the 2017 season against NJIT at 1 p.m. on Saturday.