Spartanburg, S.C. – Charlie Carpenter's walk-off grand slam with two outs in the ninth inning lifted the USC Upstate baseball team to a 6-5 win over Wofford on Wednesday night at Harley Park.
Upstate improves to 22-26 while Wofford is 25-25.
- Top 6th – Alex Malsch reached on an Upstate error and scored on a Kody Ruedisilli double for a 1-0 Wofford lead. The Terriers led 3-0 thanks to McClain Bradley's two-run home run.
- Bottom 6th – Pat Raiff led off the inning with a double and scored on a Carpenter single. The Spartans had runners on the corners with two outs and scored their second run of the game as a result of a Wofford error.
- Top 8th – Bradley led off the inning with a double and stole third base. Following a walk to Mack Nathanson, the Terriers plated two runs on a Reed Massey single.
- Bottom 9th – Jake Bourke led off the inning with a single and advanced to second on a Brett Hawkins base hit. Raiff reached on a two-out walk before Carpenter hit his team-leading eighth home run of the year and Upstate's first grand slam of the season to end the game.
- Upstate claimed the season series thanks to tonight's win and a 14-10 victory at Harley Park on March 5. Wofford defeated the Spartans 4-2 at Russell C. King Field on March 16.
- Carpenter went 3-for-5 with two singles, a home run, two runs scored and five RBI.
- Tonight's game was Carpenter's first game since April 22 after he missed the previous five games due to injury.
- Raiff went 3-for-4 with two singles, a double and two runs scored.
- Hawkins went 2-for-4 with two singles and a run scored.
- Bradley led the Wofford offense as he went 3-for-4 with a single, double, home run, two runs scored and two RBI.
- Massey went 2-for-4 with two singles and two RBI.
- Bryan Hathaway (3-3) picked up the win after he allowed a hit in a scoreless ninth inning.
- Kevin Hickey started the game for Upstate and pitched a scoreless inning.
- Matt Ellmyer (1-3) took the loss, allowing four runs on four hits with a walk and strikeout in 1.2 innings.
- Wofford looked to add to its lead in the seventh but Malsch was caught stealing home to end the inning.
- Upstate left seven runners on base while Wofford stranded five baserunners.
- Upstate hits the road this weekend for its final ASUN road series at Jacksonville.