Kennesaw, Ga. – The Kennesaw State Owls scored three runs in the third and fifth innings as they defeated USC Upstate 8-5 on Saturday afternoon at Stillwell Stadium.
Kennesaw State improves to 14-17 overall and 3-2 in ASUN Conference play while Upstate drops to 14-19 and 1-4.
- Bottom 1st – Grant Williams led off the game with a single and scored on a Chris Erwin single.
- Top 3rd – Upstate tied the game on a Charlie Carpenter single. J.J. Shimko gave the Spartans a 2-1 lead with a single before Carpenter scored on a wild pitch for a 3-1 Upstate advantage.
- Bottom 3rd – Kennesaw State answered with three runs in the inning for a 4-3 lead.
- Bottom 5th – The Owls scored runs on an Erwin single, a groundout and a Garrett Hodges double for a 7-3 lead.
- Top 7th – Brett Hawkins hit a two-run double that scored Russell Schwertfeger and Hunter Gilbert to make the score 7-5.
- Bottom 8th – Jeremy Howell's solo home run gave the Owls an 8-5 lead.
- Hawkins went 2-for-4 with a single, double and two RBI.
- Schwertfeger finished 2-for-5 with two singles and two runs scored.
- Carpenter, Shimko, Devon Ortiz and Pat Raiff each had a hit.
- The Owls had five players finish with two hits each.
- Erwin drove in a game-high three runs.
- AJ Moore (3-3) earned the win, allowing three runs on five hits with three walks and six strikeouts in 6.0 innings.
- Gabe Friese (1) picked up the save, allowing two hits with one strikeout in 2.1 innings.
- Kevin Hickey (2-4) took the loss as he gave up seven runs on 10 hits in 4.2 innings.
- The teams wrap up the series tomorrow at 1 p.m.