Charlotte, N.C. – The USC Upstate cross country team saw a total of 17 season-best times recorded on Friday evening as the Spartans competed at the Royals Cross Country Challenge hosted by Queens at McAlpine Creek Park.
The USC Upstate men registered a 21st place performance while the women logged a 25th place finish.
- A total of 17 season-best times were recorded by the Spartans with the men posting nine and the women eight.
- The nine men who crossed the finish line in season-best times were Andrew Castano, Jacob Coccia, Marlin Young, Jonathan Johnson, Michael Tardella, Logan Miller, Brandon Burt, Jonathan Loy and Abraham Hernandez.
- The women had eight season-best times from Krysta Pierstorff, Mia Davis, Shamia Thompson, Stecy Cherono, Alicia Chavez, Allie Leavitt, Brawnwyn Koellner and Libby Jennette.
- Pierstorff was the top performer for the women after recording a 75th place finish with a time of 18:55.
- Castano turned in the best time for the men finishing in 78th after a time of 25:33.
- The women had an average time of 19:52.67 and totaled 691 points.
- The men tallied an average time of 26:09.88 with 551 points.
- Davidson won the women's race with an average time of 17:53.20 while host Queens finished first in the men's race with an average time of 24:18.90.
- In the women's race, Wofford's Hannah Steelman was first with a 5K time of 16:27.
- Christian Noble of Lee won the men's 8K race after crossing the finish line in 23:27.
USC UPSTATE WOMEN'S 5K RESULTS
- Krysta Pierstorff – 75th (18:55)
- Mia Davis – 155th (19:46)
- Shamia Thompson – 173rd (19:55)
- Stecy Cherono – 196th (20:14)
- Alicia Chavez – 219th (20:35)
- Allie Leavitt – 232nd (20:49)
- Joey Palmquist – 266th (21:26)
- Brawnwyn Koellner – 296th (22:02)
- Libby Jennette – 318th (22:43)
USC UPSTATE MEN'S 8K RESULTS
- Andrew Castano – 78th (25:33)
- Jacob Coccia – 136th (26:09)
- Marlin Young – 144th (26:14)
- Jonathan Johnson – 154th (26:22)
- Michael Tardella – 168th (26:33)
- Logan Miller – 183rd (26:41)
- Brandon Burt – 196th (26:51)
- Jonathan Loy – 202nd (26:54)
- Jared Coccia – 206th (26:55)
- Matt Levonick – 261st (27:48)
- Abraham Hernandez – 281st (28:19)
- Jalin Petty – 332nd (30:02)
- Lucas Campbell – 344th (30:41)
- The 2018 Big South Cross Country Championship will be held on Friday, Oct. 26 at 10:30 a.m. in Kernersville, N.C.
Follow USC Upstate cross country on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateXCTrack), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/email alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).